𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝟣𝟧 || 𝒞𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝒶𝓈𝑒

~

~

Adeline's dreams that night had been filled with the howls of wolves and shouts of her friends. The fear she felt was not unlike the nightmares from so long ago but this time, Adeline knew she could bear through it no matter what.

The morning birds woke her from her slumber. The aches in her arms and legs earning a groan from her as she sat up, examining the tent. Susan and Lucy were already getting ready for the day, their hair brushed through and their dresses slipped on.

Adeline followed routine and got ready as well, the blue dress thin enough to allow air to flow through. The cotton was soft and fit perfectly unlike the stuffy English clothing. Adeline almost picked up her daggers before opting to leave them here for now. She was sure she didn't have to fight any ogres over breakfast.

"C'mon," Lucy tugged Adeline's hand. Adeline who had just quickly jotted down a few notes in her journal set it down and followed the little girl outside.

The Narnian air was fresh and sweet, immediately rousing Adeline from the remaining grogginess she felt. 

Peter also came out of the opposite tent, his eyes half shut and his hair flying out of control.

"Mornin'" Adeline lightly punched his shoulder, "Sleepyhead."

"Shut up," Peter groaned with a smile, "It's too early to joke around."

It seemed the hug last night hadn't affected their friendship after all. Adeline was glad, Peter and the others were her first friends and she couldn't let go of them even if she tried.

Adeline chuckled and took in the camp around her. This was the safest she had felt in days, the now-familiar voices of the Narnian creatures, the far-away clanging of metals and dwarves at work, it was a small comfort, but comfort still.

Oreius, grand and tall came their way silently. Adeline immediately stood to attention. Yesterday he and other loyal Narnian creatures were sent off to find Edmund. Did they succeed?

The centaur bowed his head towards them and then looked to the horizon. Adeline and Peter followed his gaze to a nearby cliff where Aslan stood, his mane shining in the sun, with a smaller boy bowing his head.

"Edmund!"  Lucy cried joyfully, ready to sprint to her brother. Peter reached out a hand and stopped her, the cry, however, not going unnoticed by Edmund or Aslan.

"Give them a minute, Lu," Adeline explained to the confused girl. Susan kept a hand on the younger girl's shoulder, grounding her. 

From what she could see Edmund was thinner and paler than the last time she saw him. Beforehand he looked tired but now he just looked sickly, a fact which worried Adeline. He wasn't her brother but the over-protectiveness she felt for him was close enough. Once Edmund and Aslan had approached them, she could spot cuts and bruises all over his face, including a very nasty one splitting his lip open.