𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝟫 || 𝒲𝑜𝑜𝒹𝓁𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓈𝑒

~

~

"Edmund. EDMUND!" Adeline shouted as they raced up a snowy hill. She cupped her hands and cried out his name again, praying he would hear her and come back. Lucy trailed behind the older girl and Adeline gripped her hand and pulled her along. 

Peter, Susan, and Mr. Beaver were running ahead of them and Adeline struggled to catch up. The weight of her brown fur coat and the little girl holding onto her slowed her down.

"Peter!" cried out Lucy. Her older brother turned and backtracked to grasp Lucy's other hand and together Adeline and Peter helped Lucy up the steep hill.

"Hurry!" Peter cried out. They passed a line of trees and stopped in their tracks. The terrain ahead was barren and a blinding white. The only thing there was an enormous castle made completely of ice. It should have blended in with the scenery except there was a dull light shining out of it, indicating inhabitants. The front gates looked small from where she was standing but Adeline was certain that if she was standing right in front of it, they would tower over her. A small dot caught her eye as it walked through the doors, the icy pillars slamming shut behind it. Panic flared up in Adeline and she gripped Lucy's hand even tighter. That was Edmund she had seen walk into the God-forsaken place.

"EDMUND!" Lucy screamed at the top of her lungs.

"Shh!" Mr. Beaver cried, "They'll hear ya."

In front of her Peter's shoulders straightened and he made for the castle. 

"No!" Mr. Beaver grabbed onto the edge of Peter's coat and pulled him to a halt.

"Get off me!" Peter shouted, struggling out of Mr. Beaver's grip

He waved his paws around, trying to explain, "You're playing into her hands!"

Beside her, Susan stood to her brother's defense, "We can't just let him go."

"He's our brother." Lucy's small voice cried desperately, Adeline pulled Lucy closer to her and set an arm around her shoulders. She never had any siblings and couldn't imagine the pain the others were going through, but charging in blindly wasn't the answer to their problems either.

"He is the bait." Mr. Beaver explained, "The witch wants all five of ya."

"Why?" Adeline asked, the crack in her voice betraying her mask of confidence.

"To stop the prophecy from coming true." He continued, "To kill ya!"

A small noise came out of Adeline as her throat dried up. What had they gotten into? This was never supposed to happen. She looked up trying to catch to seek guidance from Peter, who looked like he was about to scream, but all she got was a reflection of her own emotions.

"This is all your fault." Susan stalked up to Peter, resentment in her tone.

"Susan!" Adeline shouted, appalled at the once reserved girl.