𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝟥 || 𝒫𝓁𝒶𝓎𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒢𝒶𝓂𝑒𝓈

~

~

Laughter echoed outside as Adeline scrubbed the dishes. Through the kitchen window, she could see the Pevensie children running around in the grassy field near the willow tree she was sitting under yesterday. The warm summer air hadn't changed since yesterday and Adeline could feel the fresh air calling out to her.

Finishing off with the last dish, Adeline had a strong urge to run out and join them. Last night they had all had a small heart to heart and she thought that maybe they were all friends now. However, when they came down to breakfast this morning, no one mentioned their conversation and Adeline just assumed that it didn't mean as much to them as it did to her.

Adeline took off the dirty apron she was wearing and smoothened down her ankle-length short-sleeved summer dress. The light gray dress with small dark stripes on it was one of her favorites, she had bought it long ago and had adjusted it so that it now had large pockets where she could carry her journal.

Adeline looked outside again where the children were playing and felt a surge of anxiety. She wasn't sure if the Pevensie's would want her to join them, they were a family and she was a stranger they had just met. Adeline tugged on her braid nervously, sending pieces of hair into her face. Perhaps, she should go and talk with them, she was sure they wouldn't mind.

Adeline took one step forward towards the back door, about to head out, before spinning around and heading deeper into the house. The energy and the will to communicate, dissipating from her.

The brunette silently scolded herself for being a coward, but in her defense writing out confident characters was much easier than being one. Adeline walked over to a window seat in the hall near the back door and began to write. She let her pencil fly over her paper and her anxiety melted away. She wrote about a girl, forced to leave her home to save her kingdom from destruction. She wrote about witches and dragons and how the courageous acts of one girl would save all her people. She let her imagination run wild like a leaf in the wind.

The sound of the back door squeaking open snapped her back into reality. She looked up to see Peter walking down the hall. Noticing her, he smiled and caught up to where she was sitting, sending butterflies flittering in her stomach. Adeline took a deep breath, and clutched at her necklace, the familiar pendant comforting her, this was her moment to be courageous and not hold back.

"Hello." the blond greeted, towering over where she was sitting.

"Um... hello," said Adeline awkwardly. She quickly moved her legs off the seat and patted the spot, "Here, sit."

Peter sat down and Adeline now noticed how red his face was, she laughed, "You look like a tomato."

He furrowed his brows before realizing she was talking about him and quickly wiping his forehead with his sleeve. His white shirt was sticking to him and his suspenders were hanging off his pants, as he had probably taken them off because of the heat.