𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝟣𝟣 || 𝒲𝒶𝓉𝑒𝓇𝒻𝒶𝓁𝓁𝓈 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒲𝑜𝓁𝓋𝑒𝓈

~

~

The thundering roar of water rushed past Adeline ear's as they scrambled to the river. A wall of ice towered over them on their left side and on the right, the melting river began to drift chunks of ice down the stream.

"We've got to get across now!" Adeline exclaimed, staring down at the scene before them from the top of the ridge, "We don't have enough time so it's now or never."

Adeline grabbed Lucy's hand pulling her down a small trail on the side of the ridge, "Don't beavers make dams?" she asked innocently.

Mr. Beaver waved his palms, "I'm not that fast deary!"

Adeline's stomach rumbled with pain and she remembered the last time they had eaten, last night in the stone village. They had left their packs behind in the cave where they had met Father Christmas, deciding that the bags would slow them down, oh how she missed those warm blankets.

Adeline picked up the hem of her fur coat, trying not to slip as she figured out a way to get down. The large rocks which made up the ledge were covered in ice in water, making it practically impossible not to almost slip. Adeline carefully scanned the area, trying to find and step on the dryest parts of the rock and helping Lucy as well.

"Come on!" Peter ran ahead of her, leading the way as Adeline helped Lucy down.

"Wait!" Susan intervened, "Can we think about this for a minute."

"We don't have a minute!" Peter snapped, his blue eyes widening in panic.

Adeline twirled to face Susan, her chocolate hair getting undone and wisps flying in her face, "Susan, we need to move quickly."

"I'm trying to be realistic." she defended herself, taking a step back.

Peter took Adeline's free hand and pulled her towards him, "No," he talked back to his sister, "you're trying to be smart, as usual!"

"Peter!" Adeline scolded, "Susan. Both of you stop it, fighting is not going to get us anywhere."

Adeline jumped down from where she was standing onto a solid area on the ledge and reached up to help Lucy down, the little girl clutching tightly to Adeline's arm when she hopped down. Peter, Susan, then the beavers followed suit as Adeline managed to reach the bank of the river.

The faint echoing howl of wolves raised the hairs on the back of Adeline's neck, her magic reacting suddenly to the danger by entwining her free hand. A gentle brush on her lower back and brought her to her senses as Peter stood beside her, locking his eyes with her, worry swirling like little pools. 

"They're getting closer, aren't they?" he asked quietly.

Adeline nodded wordlessly and turned her attention to the river, the ice on top slowly breaking away.

Both beavers appeared at her feet as they surveyed the ice. Peter set a single foot on the ice,  immediately sinking slightly just before Adeline pulled him back by his sleeve.