𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝟨 || 𝐼𝓃𝓉𝑜 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒲𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓇𝑜𝒷𝑒

~

~

The conversation was still replaying itself in Adeline's mind the next morning. Even after breakfast and her chores, she would refer back to it, scanning it for bits and clues about her mother. 

This day was a bit breezier so after her work was done, Adeline changed into a white wool turtleneck and an emerald green skirt with pockets that went a little past her knees. She pinned back one side of her hair and tried to smoothen out the waves.

Writing usually kept her mind off of things that were troubling her so she slipped her journal and pencil into a pocket. Lucy Pevensie was currently on her mind. The little girl was quiet at breakfast and wouldn't even talk to her siblings which was concerning since Lucy is very expressive.

Adeline headed outside to where she knew the children were. Sure enough, Peter, Susan, and Edmund seemed to be playing some sort of game with a bat and ball that Adeline knew would take her ages to understand. Lucy was reading under the willow tree that Adeline had been under the day the Pevensie's first arrived.

Gently she approached the girl, "Hello there."

Lucy looked up from her book with a frown but seeing that it was Adeline it was quickly replaced with a smile, "Hello."

"Do you mind?" Adeline gestured to the ground beside her.

She shook her head and scooted over a little, allowing the older girl to sit beside her. Adeline pulled out her journal and opened it to the last story she had been working on.

She rested her pencil on the page and hesitated, the face of the girl beside her from last night still nagging at her mind.

"Lucy," she said getting her attention. Her hair bobbed as she looked up, "I want to apologize about last night. I know it was hard and I just want to say I'm sorry I didn't help you."

Lucy nodded and took Adeline's hand. Her small fingers were soft and warm and Adeline squeezed them tightly. 

"It's alright," she said, "it wasn't your fault."

Adeline said, "That's no excuse. We shouldn't have treated you like that."

Lucy squeezed Adeline's hand, "I forgive you." 

Adeline smiled sadly and slipped her hand out of Lucy's. She tucked a short strand behind the little girl's ear and gave her a small kiss on the head, which the girl giggled at. 

"And really," Lucy started, "It was mostly Edmund." She hid her mischievous smile in her book as if Edmund himself had heard it.

Adeline snorted and picked up her pencil again, "He was being an arse."

Both girls laughed at the comment and Adeline was happy they had smoothed things over. Lucy was like the little sister she never had and Adeline truly didn't want to mess anything up.