𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝟣𝟫 || 𝐹𝒶𝒾𝓉𝒽𝒻𝓊𝓁

~

~

The recovery process was daunting.

As Adeline spent a couple of days in the infirmary, Morgana explained to her the healing process of the firefly juice. It would work in a matter of minutes on any other creature or human but on a fae it combated with the magic within them, resulting in it taking longer. Adeline only caught every other word as she slipped in and out of consciousness.

Peter, who had stayed with her as she healed, repeated it to her slowly as he held her hand. Adeline had barely any strength remaining so all she could do to comfort the worried boy was to squeeze his hand back.

In the morning, a couple of days after the battle, Adeline woke feeling slightly refreshed. The wound on her abdomen still ached with every movement but being able to look around without getting dizzy was still a start.

She slipped out from underneath the covers to see that someone had changed her out of her armour and cleaned her up, putting her in a simple white dress. Bandages around her stomach restrained her from bending over too much and when she pushed up the baggy sleeves she could see both arms wrapped around in bandages as well.

Her brown hair fell around her in loose waves as she grit her teeth and stood. Her legs almost failed her and she gave a wobble but she managed to catch herself on the edge of the bed. Her feet were bare and they prickled as she took a couple of steps, getting used to the aches.

The infirmary was empty save for the musty smell of blood and stuffy air. Adeline had to get out of here. The moment she stepped outside she was overwhelmed by the noise and sounds. It seemed like the camp was being packed up, tents were being taken down and bags filled.

She was about to take another step into camp before hesitating. She needed a moment to herself, this was all too much. Instead, Adeline swivled and opted for the woods which looked much calmer than the camp.

As she walked farther, taking her time as her hand rested on her abdomen she took in the Narnian air. It had changed. There used to be an air of dread hanging over the country, as if any second something terrible was going to happen but instead the songsof birds and rustling of leaves soothed the land.

Adeline followed the trail of trees to a river bank, the soft grass under her feet turning into mud as she got closer. Finally, a moment to catch her breath. With a grunt she sat on a rock and dipped her toes into the water.

The cool refreshing river calmed her mind as she took a breath, the first breath without consequences in ages. Adeline stretched out her hand and called on her magic. The blue wisps fizzled out at first but after a few moments finally flowed out like smoke, swirling around her and fading away. At least her magic was back to normal.

The sun shone through the trees as Adeline allowed herself to bask. No battle, no witch, no duties, just her. She hadn't done this since the beginning of summer back in England, that now seemed like it had happened a thousand years ago.