𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝟣 || 𝒜𝓌𝒻𝓊𝓁𝓁𝓎 𝐵𝒾𝑔 𝒜𝒹𝓋𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓊𝓇𝑒

"I've had lots of troubles, so I write jolly tales

"I've had lots of troubles, so I write jolly tales." ~ Louisa May Alcott

~

Adeline woke up gasping for breath, sweat dripped down her forehead and she pressed on her chest, trying to calm herself down. The remains from her nightmare echoed in her mind, the screaming, small glimpses of a forest, a castle burning in the distance and a gentle voice telling Adeline that they loved her.

She wiped away the beads of sweat and looked the clock on her nightstand. 5:04, the crack of dawn. Adeline didn't want to go back to sleep for the fear that the nightmare would come back. Dark blue wisps floated in the corner of her vision and Adeline looked down to her hands to see magic entwining her fingers. She had always had this magic and for the most part, she could control it. She had never really tested its limits, her grandfather had forbidden it, concerned for her safety. He had also told her to never tell anyone about it and the only people who knew were him and herself.

Adeline reached up to fiddle with her necklace. Her grandfather said that it had been her mother's. She didn't remember her mother, but this necklace always gave her strength and just twirling the small silver flower between her fingers made her feel better.

Quickly she willed her magic away, and the room went dark. Getting up out of bed she took a seat at her desk and lit a candle. She opened the leather-bound journal that was sitting there and ran her fingers over the pages. This journal was her most prized possession, it held all of her ideas, thoughts, and opinions. It was home to her beloved stories that she wrote to pass the time. Adeline didn't know what she would do without it.

Taking out a pencil from her drawer she began to write, small things at first, her nightmare and how she felt about it. Then she began to write a story behind her visions, perhaps the castle was burning because of a dragon and the woman she heard was the princess saying goodbye to her love, or maybe this kingdom was an ancient civilization doomed to a prophecy. The pencil flew past on the page and Adeline didn't realize that she had been sitting there for hours until she looked back up again. The sun was peaking through her window and the early birds were already chirping. Satisfied with the work she had done, Adeline took a deep breath and closed her journal.

The door swung open suddenly and Mrs. Macready walked in rapidly. Besides Adeline and her grandfather, the only other person who lived in their enormous mansion was Mrs. Macready, the housekeeper. She had been here for as long as Adeline could remember and treated her well, even though she was extremely strict about rules. Mrs.Macready didn't know about Adeline's powers and her grandfather told her to keep them hidden as to not spook the older woman.

"Oh good, you're awake." Mrs. Macready said. She opened Adeline's closet and grabbed a skirt, "Get dressed, the professor would like to have breakfast with you this morning."