𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝟣𝟤 || 𝒯𝑜 𝒜𝓈𝓁𝒶𝓃'𝓈 𝒞𝒶𝓂𝓅

~

~

The air grew warmer as they made their way through the forest. Slowly the white was replaced with greenery and spots of bright colours. The sounds of chirping birds and creatures rustling about were comforting and a sudden change from the dead silence of the winter season. 

Narnia was changing, and Adeline could feel her magic responding to it. It was calmer, and drummed deeply in her rather than crashing about like a raging ocean. 

After the rough journey, they had had, it was nice just walking peacefully, but they still wouldn't be safe until they reached Aslan's camp. Her clothes had fully dried from being drenched in the river, her emerald skirt rustled and caught on the growing flowers and bushed and the warm air caused her to push back the sleeves of her white turtleneck, which now stood out against the forest. The wet coats were soaked all the way through and were becoming too heavy to carry so Susan suggested they leave them behind on branches. Adeline did feel bad for leaving behind her grandfathers' coats but losing the weight had been a relief.

Adeline used her magic to try to take the water out of most of their clothing but after the debacle, she was rightfully drained. She managed to take most of the water out of her journal which was soaked from being in her pocket. The pages were wrinkled and some of the ink was smudged but thankfully the leather had protected most of the writing, leaving it legible. Her daggers, thank goodness were perfectly fine, save for the small bit of water in the sheath which she dumped out.

Ahead of her, Peter and Lucy trekked behind the beavers as Adeline and Susan led the back of the line. They broke through the trees and walked onto a beautiful plain. The sun was bright and there was a cool breeze blowing her loose hair about. For the first time a while Adeline allowed herself to relax. She jogged to catch up with Peter and nudged his shoulder.

"It's beautiful isn't it?" she asked, "Finally a break from the cold."

He hummed a yes, "Are you nervous?" he asked suddenly.

"Pardon?"

"Are you nervous?" Peter repeated, "You know, about meeting Aslan. And you being... a princess." he murmured the last word as if saying it would have consequences.

Adeline furrowed her brows, the whole princess thing still hadn't fully dawned on her. She hadn't had the time to sit down and think about everything that had happened. They had been shoved to the back of her mind by the worry and excitement from the past day.

"Well... I'm not exactly sure." she looked up to him, the sun making his golden hair glow. "If the prophecy is real, which at this point I'm positive it is," she chuckled softly, "Then you're royalty too. I don't know how to run a country or act like a queen but I know that whatever I do, you and the others will be by my side."

"That's actually," Peter pondered, "a good way to look at things."

Adeline smiled, "And as for Aslan. A part of me knows he's good, and I just- I'm not scared at all."