𝐼𝐼 𝐸𝓅𝒾𝓁𝑜𝑔𝓊𝑒 𝐼𝐼

I wanna come home

I wanna come home

Where the streets lead back to where I'm born

Where my feet feel steady on the ground

I wanna come home

Mother, can you take me home to you?

~

The moon shone brightly through the window. 

Adeline sat on the ledge of the window sill staring at the wardrobe, hoping, praying, something would happen. She had tried to go back through multiple times, even calling upon her now fading magic. Nothing.

The door to the room opened and Lucy, in her little pink robe, walked in. Adeline said nothing. If Lucy had gone through the first time, perhaps she could open it again. The girl opened the door to the wardrobe as Adeline held her breath. Nothing.

"I don't think you'll get back in that way," Adeline spoke up, her voice raspy from the tears she had shed.

Lucy swivelled around to face her, her shoulders relaxing when she realized it was just her. Adeline tightened the pink cardigan she was wearing around her as she approached the girl.

"You see," she admitted, "I've already tried." 

"Will we ever go back?" Lucy asked, the hope in her voice touching Adeline's heart.

She looked over at the wardrobe and attempted in some sort of way to call to her magic. Faint whispers in her ears, but nothing else. Hope was all she had now.

Adeline reached over to tuck Lucy's hair behind her ear, "I expect so." she shut the wardrobe door, "But it'll probably happen when you're not looking for it." 

She said with a soft smile, "Best to keep your eyes open."

Adeline reached out her hand which the little girl took and led her out of the room. With a final glance behind her, she swore she could hear a lion's roar, but she could never know for sure.

Adeline shut the door. 

~

Summer had finally come to an end. 

Adeline wanted to hold on to the family she had built for a little while longer but knew that it would be impossible.

On the day of their departure, Lucy had cried as she hugged Adeline, both girls desperately clinging onto each other. Adeline tucked a strand of hair behind Lucy's ear and told her that they would see each other again soon.

Susan had thrown her arms around Adeline's neck and they whispered encouraging words to each other. They had to be strong and look after their families.

Edmund had said nothing all day but the moment the carriage had arrived to take them he had opened his arms, allowing Adeline to give him one last hug. She had whispered a thank you in his ear and she could have sworn that she saw tears in his eyes before he turned away.

Saying goodbye to Peter was the hardest. They had been side by side for fifteen years. Sharing memories and their love. They had taken a moment alone earlier to just say goodbye. Peter still had his wedding ring as well, which for some reason was allowed to trespass between worlds. Adeline had tied her Kelt piece around her ring and hung it on her necklace and Peter kept his in his shirt pocket. Close to his heart, he said.

In those final moments, they had hugged as tightly as possible, as if no one would be able to break them apart after that. With a lingering touch and a final goodbye, the golden-haired boy got onto the carriage and the four children who had changed Adeline's life forever were gone. 

Years as kings and queens could not erase the bond the five children had formed, but now that they were being separated indefinitely, Adeline didn't know how she would bear the heartbreak.

But there was one thing she did know for sure.

That they would be together again, one day. 

~

I can't believe it. It's finally finished.

I spent over a year and a half on this project and honestly, I'm so proud of it. Thank you so much for being here with me as we went on this journey. 

I wrote the last two chapters together because I just felt so overwhelmed and I really didn't want to finish it but I knew I had to.

I'm not sure about the sequel yet but know that if it does come up I will post an announcement on this story. 

Question of the day:

~ Other Narnia fanfic recommendations? I have one - 'Rosemary' by cocastyle - it really inspired me to write this book way back when I first read it~

Thank you so much for reading and don't forget to vote or comment!

Until next time,

StoryTeller5678

🎉 You've finished reading 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝑀𝑒 𝐻𝑜𝓂𝑒 || 𝒫𝑒𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒫𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃𝓈𝒾𝑒 🎉