A Bigger Part

"Hey Y/n this is Paul...Altman, um...Philip got into a car accident, we haven't seen him yet since they called us, we're at Good Samaritan Hospital waiting so...hopefully you'll hear this and we'll see each other soon, bye..."

That voicemail was from almost two hours ago, the knowledge of that mixed with the lack of information the message provided you with had you shaking with worry, Paul sounded worried as well, of course he did, his little brother got into a car accident of god knows what magnitude.

With how careless of a driver he tends to be, the speed he was driving at the last time you saw him, not to mention he was probably pissed at you when it happened. He probably got distracted and was going too fast, and if he was going that fast then who knows what happened, how hurt he was...

This is your fault.

Maybe that wasn't true, maybe it wasn't your fault, maybe a drunk asshole crashed into him or a deer crossed the road and he drove off, but you couldn't help it, you were the reason he drove away at that speed, and all because you lied about the stupidest little bullshit to him, he must've been so angry, listening to you lie away at him like he didn't make time to go with you to see the fucking apartment.

And you were so fucking mad at him, and for what? Whatever was the reason it didn't matter to you in the uncertainty and guilt of this moment right now, this moment where your mind was going a thousand miles an hour and thinking the worst. Thinking that the last time you spoke to him was yelling and slamming a door on his face like you didn't give a fuck about him.

But you did give a fuck, you gave so many fucks your chin was trembling under the concealment of your palm as you looked out of Erica's car window, staring into nothing and going over every single word that was said and the anger in Philip's face the last time you two talked today, and the way he drew his hand away from your thigh when you brought up something he wasn't comfortable with, it stung at your chest.

-So what did the voicemail say? Have they seen him?- she asked, very quietly and carefully.

She brought you back from your mulling, sure you could hide your face, but you couldn't hide the way your leg was bouncing away and the heavy silence that had fallen after you told her to drive to Good Samaritan. You shook your head, feeling prickles in your eyes.

-No, they don't, they didn't...- you huffed a deep breath- When Paul sent me the voicemail they hadn't seen him yet...so i don't know...-

He could be dead right now and I wouldn't know

You shut your eyes tightly, shooing the dark, dark thought away and burying it deep in the very bottom of your mind, no. There was no way you were thinking that, there was no way he was leaving you when that was your last interaction, not even a kiss or a smile.

-I lied to him...- your voice was quiet- It was a stupid lie but still, he was pissed...-

You weren't really expecting an answer, you were just sulking at this point, Erica seemed to notice.

-We're almost there...- you heard Erica say, noticing your sudden silence.

The idea of calling back Paul to check in and see if Philip was okay came to your mind, but you were so worried, so worried the news would be even worse before you even got a chance to get there, it was better to drown in ignorance and conclusions, after all, if you tried being realistic, your mind always thought the worst, so that left you with a big chance that the reality was you'd be relieved.

This was your fucked up way of trying to console yourself, that whatever had happened to him couldn't be worse than what you were already imagining, but even if he was completely fine, would he be mad at you? Of course he would, you yelled at him and got him into a car accident, he wasn't even going to call you out on your lying, but noo, you had to be a nosy bitch.