Fifteen Minutes

Your POV:

It was a warm late morning, it was sunny and there was a light breeze that felt refreshing as you walked, it felt like you were taking a deep breath with every blow of the wind against you. And the streets weren’t too busy, even less busy than what you could expect from the calm suburban streets, though it made sense considering it was a Saturday, there were a few neighbors mowing their lawns, but other than that it was silent, it felt silent, and you sighed, your steps heavy with unenthusiasm, Louie had been pointing out how quiet you had been lately.

You usually didn’t mind working events for the bakery, and you didn’t mind working Saturdays every once in a while, this time wasn’t even about the Saturday, it was more about the event. Annie had come to the bakery a while ago, asking for you and giving you a tight hug before sitting down with you and Loui and talking for around a whole hour about what she wanted for the party: cupcakes, cake pops, cookies, sandwiches, and a three tier cake, everything in tones of greens and blues, Annie was incredibly excited, as usual, and had planned every little detail. Phillip had told you once about what a perfectionist she had been at her wedding.

Phillip, right. The reason you didn’t feel like taking the extra money this time. You were far from ready, it hurt in your chest to even think about seeing him, you felt as if as soon as you’d see him you’d break down crying again, lately it was easier to pretend he wasn’t around, it was easier to ignore it all, wake up and head out of the apartment quickly so the silence of loneliness wouldn't invade you, sleeping at the edge of the bed because even though it was close to gone, his scent was still there.

Avoiding him in every possible way hadn't worked in this situation. You were both there to do a job and as a guest. Either you went there to work, or to mingle with his family, or worse, yours. Your mom and Horry were still oblivious to everything that had happened, you just couldn't bring yourself to tell them, you were barely keeping it together yourself by holding back tears around four times a day, no, you needed to be okay before you could get through your mom's pity and your brother's rage.

Be okay…

Once again, your steps slowed down as your eyes started to sting, and you took a few deep breaths, but you needed a full moment when the Altman's house came into view, all those people, and him, they couldn't see you cry, you couldn't cry.

I bet he's gonna look perfectly fucking fine.

I fucking hate him.

No you don't...

This inside dialogue had been a companion these days, intrusive thoughts, judgement from people with a voice but without a face, going over every single thing, and picking yourself, and him, apart about it. Hating yourself for being so sad, so in love.

You allowed yourself a tear or two, your chin trembled, and you sobbed quietly, looking in the other direction for a moment to have some sense of privacy. You knew this would happen, that he'd be everywhere, in the sidewalk where he kissed you and picked you up to take you to his house, said house, where you cried on his shoulder and slept in his bed and where he whispered the first i love you.

Your eyes shut tightly, and you felt your throat tight, either you couldn't hold it anymore or you didn't care, if anyone asked you could just say you had some bad allergies. Unfortunately the party was still happening, and you still needed to turn around and go inside.

And so you did, even if your legs felt wobbly as you went up to the entrance, you shook your head in an attempt to clear it, and you put on your best most polite smile just before the door was opened by your mom herself.