This Thing Between Us

TW❗️: derogatory slurs, a bit of angst.

—————
Philip's POV:

Since his little moment of realization a few days ago that he was actually into her, Philip really couldn't stop smiling, things started to make a lot more sense in parts where he didn't realize it was missing, like how she would pop up on his head randomly, not just as a horny memory of being on top of her, but everything else as well.

At first fooling around with the front door neighbor was more than enough to get him going, it was hot and he was sure it would be fun. But it didn't take him long to get hooked, of course he didn't quite know he was totally hooked until maybe the other day, and he had to admit, it felt nice, maybe even nicer than with Tracy. Maybe this time he wouldn't mess it up like he did with her, probably because he truly didn't want to.

He was rolling around in his feelings for her, he hoped she would text all weekend, but didn't bug her himself, he knew she had had a rough start of the weekend, so he waited and by Monday when she asked him over he was eager, a smile on his face as she sat next to him. He liked that whole situation, him picking out a movie while you brought over homemade popcorn that you made so effortlessly from his point of view considering he was more than sure he'd straight burned them if he tried. He wanted more of this, of little domestic, daily life moments with her.

Truth be told a part of him was excited, he could barely contain himself from telling her just how amazing he found her, thinking of what his next move could be, and if he should ask her to be something more. Philip was a confident guy, at least when it came to women, he didn't need to check if she felt the same way, or so he thought.

-You can fend for your...Do you know what this is?!?- her brother, who had suddenly gone from chill and nice neighbor to straight up fight club member, gestured towards Philip, who was hoping he wouldn't have to run off to lock himself inside his house, but was ready to do so.

-Yes!! I know what it is okay?? He's just sleeping with me, it's nothing!! I know!!-

Philip watched as she gestured with her arms as if she were pointing out the obvious, his stomach dropped at her words, he thought, for a small second, that she might say something else, he didn't know what, just anything but that, anything that wouldn't leave him completely confused.

-It is?- was all he could ask.

She turned around, Philip didn't notice her brother calming down at the obvious situation brewing in front of him, her eyes seemed to scan his face, also confused, Philip wasn't scared of Horry anymore, now he was scared of her sudden cluelessness.

-It's not?- her brows pinched for a moment before relaxing again, but her shocked expression still stood.

There was a silence, tense, heavy, on the edge of breaking, they both stood there, maybe waiting for the other to say something, to explain, but neither said a thing, her mouth opened, as if she were about to but still nothing came out. It had to had been a few minutes, or at least that's how it felt, until Horry spoke.

-I think you two...might need to talk, I'm gonna go...-

With that he awkwardly walked past Philip, and he heard his footsteps going up the stairs, leaving them with an even thicker silence, she blinked, her mouth open agape as she fidgeted with her fingernails, looking up at him for a moment before she furrowed her brows again and looked down at the floor.

All of this was happening in short minutes, but they felt like hours as both of their silences built up to something neither would like.

To be fair Philip didn't exactly know what he was expecting, he assumed she knew this wasn't just sex anymore. He tried not to overthink it, maybe she was asking because she just now realized it's not, so he spoke first.