Warm and Familiar

When you woke up the next day, you didn't exactly feel brand new, your eyes were puffy, dark circles bringing them out, your face seemed pale and dehydrated. As you took yourself in the mirror you were astonished, you looked like actual crap, like a broke college student during finals week, and all in the span of a shitty day. The only part of your image that didn't scream sleep deprived raccoon was the extra weight you had gained these last couple of months from stress eating.

But you had to pull yourself together, you were heading back to the apartment, picking up the rest of your stuff, and getting the fuck out of Nick's life and straight to the airport.

As soon as you stood at the door, your breathing turned slightly ragged, as you knew what was coming, you rolled your shoulders and turned the key, thinking hopefully he wouldn't be home. That would've been too easy.
He was on the kitchen and came at you as soon as he saw you, blocking your way to the bedroom.

-Babe...-

You always hated that nickname, you didn't know why but it sounded almost fake.

-Let me through Nick.-

-Okay but don't you want to talk? You always want to talk...-

Now inside the bedroom he followed you as you dragged your biggest suitcase out of the closet and started packing as much as the weight limit allowed in the plane. You scowled.

-What i always wanted was for you to give a shit. To stop fucking sleeping on our issues and grow the fuck up. But you won't, and i won't wait for you any longer.-

-Oh come on i did try! Where do you think those dresses you're packing came from huh??- he gestured with his arms and his shoulders in a shrug.

You shot him a look of disbelief, how oblivious can a man get? Every time you thought he was at his top, he outdid himself again. With the dresses in your hands, you reached for the bracelet and the earrings as well.

-These are not apologies, these aren't solutions, they're not even efforts!!- you waved the fabrics on his face.

He kept rambling on about how he had different ways of apologizing and showing that he cared, but never once did he actually say "I'm sorry" although sorry wouldn't even change your mind at this point. That gave you the sign that he evidently didn't give a shit.

Your head was pounding in a combination of the last day and a half, the crying, the yelling, the stress, the clenching of your jaw and the tension on your shoulders were the solid proof that you'd had enough.

Once you were out of the apartment building you let out a sigh, relaxing as you felt the approaching fall breeze freshen your hot head. You knew at some point you'd be back to take out the rest of the stuff from the apartment but for now you just let Nick know you'd be away and to pack it into boxes, it wasn't that much anyways.

***

Thank god you had a savings account, and thank god you didn't share it with Nick. You booked the plane ticket for tomorrow, it was either that or a 10 hour bus ride from Chicago to New York, but you wanted to get there quick, you didn't feel like staying in this city right now, walking past the office building, past the cafe two blocks from there where you'd sometimes have your lunch break, or worse, the restaurant you thought Nick would propose to you in.