chapter 9: fateful encounters

3 years later...

I was running on the treadmill, specially designed by Tony to keep up with my super speed. It also recorded my top speed, and average speed throughout my workout. What would normally be a loud thudding of running on the treadmill, was replaced by a rapid pitter patter with a quiet, high pitched whistle. I looked down at the speedometer, waiting desperately for it to change from 165 to 170.

I had spent the last 3 years training, and trying to get faster. 3 years ago I could run 120 mph. Now, in 2015, I can run at 165 mph. The speedometer ticked over to 170, and I slowed down. I had previously believed that I could only run at super speed, but after 3 years of training, I learned to control my speed. So, I can control when I speed up, and how fast I run. I slowed down, and came to a halt, and Nat came into the gym.

"How fast was that run?"

"170. New personal best," She looked at me impressed. "In the last 3 years, I've increased my speed by almost 50%"

"Well, hard work pays off," She said as she took her jumper off. "You ready for a few rounds?"

"I'm always ready, Romanoff," I got in the ring, and warmed up. She walked over to me.

"So, do you run fast permanently, or can you decide when you run fast?" She asked, punching me in the chest.

"I used to believe that, but now I can control it," I said, as I slid under her arm. She turned around, and went for my face. I grabbed her hand before she had even turned around properly.

 "The reflexes, they come naturally," She grinned at me before swiping my legs, causing me to fall onto my back.

"You didn't see that coming,"

***

We trained for a while, and stopped when Nat had my head between her thighs. I tapped her leg repeatedly, and she let go of me.

"Jesus, what are your thighs made of?" I asked, as I regained some breath.

"Wouldn't you like to know. Your fighting is really getting better," She said, drinking some water.

"Jarvis, in 5 minutes, run a cold shower in my room,"

"Okay, sir,"

"A cold shower?" Nat asked, almost disgusted at me.

"Yeah, helps stimulate the nerves, you know? You should try it,"

I entered my room, and heard the shower start up.

"Ah, thank God for technology," I stripped, threw my clothes on my bed, and got in the shower. The cold water burned my aching muscles, but damn did it feel good. My abs were killing from the amount of kicking Nat did.

"Sir, Captain Rogers would like you in the briefing room," Jarvis said.

"Tell him I'm showering,"

"Sir, it's about your upcoming mission to Sokovia,"

"Fine," I got out of the shower, and dried myself with my super speed. I put some clothes on and walked to the briefing room.

"(L/N), glad you arrived," Steve said, and I smiled sarcastically.

"Baron Wolfgang Strucker. Hydra scientist. There's a facility in Sokovia where, we believe, Loki's staff is. It's unknown what the facility is used for, but rumour is that he does tests and experiments on other humans. Our goal is to retrieve the staff, and if we can, bring Strucker back. We go in 30 minutes. Suit up," We all left, and went to our rooms. My suit hadn't changed since New York. I just had a complicated wrist watch that could be used to transfer files and information. It also had a radar on it that helped me locate the other Avengers during combat.

***

I ran next to Steve, who was riding his bike. I veered left, and headed towards one of the bunkers. I dodged the shots coming from the Hydra soldiers. Sliding past them, I engaged in combat with them all, disarming one and using his gun against him.

"I've done my bunker. Are there any spares?" I asked.

"I could do with some help," Clint said, whilst grunting. I looked at my radar, and ran towards the purple dot. Each of the Avengers had a different coloured dot. Steve was blue, Tony was red, Clint was purple, Nat was black,Bruce was green, and Thor was yellow.

"Good to see you, Apollo," I said, as I joined Clint.

"He was a God, I'll take it,"

"Shit!" Tony exclaimed, as he flew into the energy barrier surrounding Strucker's castle.

"Language!" Steve exclaimed.

"I think we lost the element of surprise," Clint said whilst handing me an arrow. I ran, and kicked off a tree, then threw the arrow straight through a Hydra soldier.

"Wait a second. No-one else is gonna deal with the fact that Cap just said 'language'?" Tony asked.

"I know," There was an explosion from his side. "Just slipped out," I ran around the snowy forest, knocking out Hydra soldiers. It felt so much better fighting now that I knew how to use my powers.

"We have an enhanced in the field," Steve stated. "Stark, we really need to get inside,"

"The drawbridge is down, people. Echo, I want you in the castle. See if you can get information on anything,"

"Give me approximately 7 seconds," I ran up to the castle, and met with Tony. He removed his helmet.

"I'm going to secure the sceptre, you need to secure information. Whether it be on the enhanced or Hydra secret plans. Just don't die," I nodded, and he put his helmet back on and flew away. I ran into the castle, throwing Hydra soldiers at each other. I stopped in a corridor, and saw a light coming from one of the rooms. I went into it, and there was a computer in the middle.

"Tony, I believe I've found the main computer,"

"Good. Get the information, and copy it to  Hill at HQ," I walked to the computer and connected a wire to it from my radar. I went through the computer to find anything of use.

"Pietro, and Wanda Maximoff. Twins. Increased metabolism, and improved thermal homeostasis. So that's the technical name for my powers," I said to myself, and carried on reading the file. "Neuroelectric interfacing, telekinesis, mental manipulation. Jarvis, send these files to Agent Hill,"

"You shouldn't be here," A Sokovian voice said from behind me. I slowly turned around, and saw a stunning, dark haired girl standing there. Her hands had a red glow.

"You must be Wanda. I'm (Y/N) (L/N),"

"I don't care," She shot some of her red magic at me, but I ducked.

"Oh, you will. Jarvis, percentage?" I said quietly.

"70%, sir," I took the device off, and walked around Wanda, who shot some magic at me again.

"Wanda, I don't wanna hurt you. Your brother and I share the same powers. We could bond over it," She shot at me again. "Or not,"

"How do you know about Pietro and me?"

"Transfer complete, sir,"

"Okay, self destruct!" I ran to Wanda, and pushed her out of the way of the blast radius. I ran out of the castle.

"Tony, I got information on the two enhanced. I sent it to Maria. What's the progress on the sceptre?

"I'm working on it. That was a good talk," He said to some people, I assume he was fighting. I heard someone say "No it wasn't," which made me smile to myself.