chapter 15: Barton's bandages

I stood, watching myself fight with the rest of the Avengers and some people I didn't know. I couldn't move. I could just observe. The other people in the fight were blurred, so I couldn't make heads or tails of who was who. I only recognised myself because I was running fast. My suit was no longer green and white, but black and white. And, I had a full beard. However, I was confused by the fact that I was able to shoot beams, and bolts of energy from my hands. From the looks of it, it was a very important fight. If I had to guess, we were some place in Africa. I watched as I stood with someone else, we were shooting beams of energy towards some big, blurry, purple guy. We were both shooting beams of power both ways from both hands. One towards the red thing, and one at the purple guy. Directly at his left hand. Everything shifted, and something happened. There was a loud, metallic snap, followed by a bright light...

***

I bolted upright, and let out a loud moan of pain, causing everyone in the quinjet to look at me.

"What the hell happened?" I asked, breathing heavily as I looked around. Everyone looked solemn, and disappointed.

"We lost," I answered my own question. "I just had a dream. But I don't remember any of it,"

"That's helpful," Tony said, sarcastically.

"I have 3 bullets buried deep in my shoulder, how am I not dead?"

"Because I removed the bullets," Tony said.

"Thanks. What happened after the boat?"

"We had a code green," Bruce said, sounding disappointed about it.

"I had to call Veronica in. Ended up destroying half of Johannesburg," Tony explained.

"Wow, that sounds... exciting. Where are we going? We sure as hell can't be going back to New York" I said, walking over to Clint, who was piloting.

"A safe house. We're about an hour out. If you want some kip, now's a good time," I sat in the co-pilot seat, and tried to remember the dream.

***

The sun was just rising. Clint started steering the quinjet down into a forest. Outside the forest, there was a small farm. It looked nice and cozy. It looked like the perfect place for an Avenger to live their double life.

"This is nice and snug. Let me guess, Mrs. Barton lives here?" I asked, half-jokingly. Clint looked sideways at me and smirked. He landed the jet, and we all walked towards the house.

"What is this place?" Thor asked.

"Safe house," Tony said, as Clint opened the door. I was last to enter, so I closed the door behind me.

"Honey, I'm home," Clint said loudly. We entered the lounge area, and a pregnant woman came round the corner.

"Hi. Company. Sorry, didn't call ahead," The woman hugged and kissed Clint.

"So, I was right. This is Mrs. Barton,"

"This is an agent of some kind," Tony said.

"Gentlemen, this is Laura," Clint introduced us to his wife. She smiled and waved at us.

"I know all your names," There was some loud thudding, and two small children came running into the room.

"And 2 Barton juniors!" I exclaimed, as Clint hugged his children.

"Do you have any bandages. Only, I've got 3 bullet wounds on my back that need covering," I asked Laura, who disappeared and came back with a roll of bandage.

"Brilliant! Thanks. Clint, where's your bathroom?"

"Upstairs, third door on your left," I went to the bathroom, and took my top off. It was painful, due to the fact that I had to squirm my arm so much because of the stupid thumb holes. I felt 2 of the holes start bleeding again. I dabbed them with a tissue, and tried to apply the bandage, but to no success. Nat came in and stood in the doorway, smiling to herself.

"A little help please?" I hated asking that. Nat looked really distressed from what Wanda had made her see. I didn't know what that was, and frankly, I didn't want to ask.

"So, that's our first loss as a team," I said as she wrapped the bandage around my chest. She cut the bandage off, and tucked it into itself.

"Yeah, it was a hard loss too," She started wrapping the bandage diagonally over my chest.

"Tash, I really don't want to ask, but for some reason, I'm curious..."

"You wanna know what Wanda made me see," She said as she used a safety pin to clip the bandages together. "Can you still move alright?" She asked, not answering my question. I stretched my back and arms.

"Yep, perfectly fine," Nat forced a smile at me, and I felt really bad so I hugged her. She was still at first, but she held me close, and rested her head on my chest.

"No matter what Ultron thinks, or does, we'll always have each other. And we'll take Ultron down together. As a team," She let go of me, and smiled sincerely at me, and left. I picked my shirt up, and Clint appeared at the door with a shirt and a pair of jeans in hand.

"Give me your suit and pants, I'll have them washed,"

I handed him my green shirt, and black joggers, and he handed me the white shirt and jeans. The jeans were a little tight, but I didn't have any complaints. I didn't show it, but I was disappointed that we had been beaten. Whatever happened to being the Earth's mightiest heroes.

A/N: soooo, what team do you think you'll be on? team americas ass, or team genius billionaire playboy thilanthropist?