chapter 40: back to the future

"We lost the Tesseract," Tony said, disappointed and sad.

"You did what?" I said angrily.

"I dropped the Tesseract, and Loki got away with it,"

"One round trip each. Six stones or none," I shouted.

"Well, what are we gonna do now?" Steve asked.

"You know what? Give me a break, Steve. I just got hit in the head with The Hulk," Scott scoffed again and got out of the car.

"You said that we had one shot. This, this was our shot. We shot it. It's shot. Six stones or nothing. It was six stones or nothing!"

"You're repeating yourself, you know that? You're repeating yourself" Tony said facetiously.

"You're repeating yourself. You're repeating yourself," Scott fired back.

"Dude, come on," Tony said.

"No. You never wanted a time heist. You weren't on board with the time heist. You ruined the time heist," Scott said angrily.

"Is that what I did?" Tony asked rhetorically.

"Yes," Scott simply said. I sighed.

"Is there any other way of retrieving the Tesseract?" I asked.

"No, no, no, there's no other options. There's no do-overs," Scott slammed the car door shut. "We are not going anywhere else. We have one particle left. Each. That's it, all right? We use that bye-bye, you're not going home," I saw Tony deep in thought, on the brink of eureka in the car.

"Yeah, well if we don't try... Then no-one else is going home, either," Steve said.

"I got it. There's another way to retake the Tesseract, and acquire new particles," Tony scrambled out of the car, and walked over to Steve "Little stroll down memory lane. Military installation, Garden state," Steve knew what he was on about.

"When were they both there?" He asked.

"They were there at a time... I have a vaguely exact idea,"

"How vague?" I asked.

"What are you guys talking about? Where are we going?" Scott asked.

"I know for a fact they were there..."

"Who's they? What are we doing?" Scott continued to ask.

"And I know how I know," Steve looked around.

"Guys, what is it?"

"Looks like we're improvising," Steve said.

"Great,"

"What are we improvising?" Scott asked. Tony and Steve inputted the date they were going back to, and Scott continued to ask questions.

"What's in New Jersey? Excuse me... Cap. Captain. Steve, sorry, America. Rogers. Look, if you do this, and it doesn't work. You're not coming back,"

"Thanks for the pep talk, pissant," I sniggered, and Scott looked at me.

"Good luck, guys," They suited up and shrank into the quantum realm. Steve had handed me the sceptre to take it back to the compound. I had two of the six Infinity Stones. I felt powerful.

"What's a pissant?" Scott asked.

"An insignificant person. Come on, let's go back... TO THE FUTURE!" Scott gave me a look.

"Sorry, that was lame,"

One minute later, at the Avengers Compound

"Did we get them all," I asked, running my hand through my hair. I was nervous. What if we were unable to reverse Thanos' actions? What if those trillions of people stayed dead?

"You're telling me this actually worked?" Rhodey asked, with a tone of excitement in his voice

"Hopefully. Clint... Where's Nat?" I asked. His silence was the answer we weren't hoping for.

"No, no, no. Tell me she's not," Bruce got on one knee and punched the platform. Bruce, Clint, Steve, Tony, Thor and I walked to the lake outside the compound.

"Do we know if she had family?" Tony asked.

"We were her family," I said, leaning against the wooden pillar, looking across the lake.

"What?" Thor said, confused.

"I just asked him a question," Tony replied.

"Yeah, you're acting like she's dead. Why are we acting like she's dead? We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stones, Cap, we can bring her back, isn't that right? So stop this shit. We're the Avengers, get it together," Thor said.

"We can't get her back," Clint said.

"Wha... What?" Thor asked.

"It can't be undone. It can't," Thor gave a small, dry laugh.

"I'm sorry. No offense, but you're a very earthly being. Okay? We're talking about space magic. And "can't" seems very definitive don't you think?"

"Yeah, look, I know that I'm way outside my paygrade here. But she still isn't here, is she?" Clint said to Thor.

"No, that's my point..."

"It can't– be undone. Or that's at least what the red floating guy had to say," Clint explained "Maybe you wanna go talk to him, okay? GO GRAB YOUR HAMMER, AND YOU GO TALK TO HIM," Clint shouted, and there was a short silence.

"It was supposed to be me," He said with a shaky voice. "She sacrificed herself for that stone. She bet her life on it," Bruce picked up a bench and hurled it across the lake.

"She's not coming back. We have to make it worth it. We have to," Bruce said, facing us.

"We will,"

A/N: heyyyy, sorry for the delay. I just finished chapter 43, and it's short. 672 words. but i feel like it ends at an appropriate place. i could try and squeeze a few extra words in, but i feel like thats scummy. And im no scumbag! Anyway, i hope you enjoy this chapter, and what is left to come!

-TWM x