chapter 25: politics in Vienna

The Wakandan Prince, T'Challa, stood looking out of a window of the United Nations office in Vienna. Natasha Romanoff was called, which brought the attention of T'Challa. He turned around, and walked over to the Avenger.

"I suppose neither of us is used to the spotlight," T'Challa said.

"Well, it's not always so flattering,"

"You seem to be doing alright so far. Considering your last trip to Capitol Hill, I wouldn't think you'd be particularly comfortable in this company," Natasha smiled, and looked away from the prince, who towered over her.

"Well, I'm not," She answered, truthfully.

"And that alone makes me glad you're here, Miss Romanoff,"

"Why? You don't approve of all this?"

"The Accords, yes. The politics, Not really. Two people in a room can get more done than a hundred," T'Challa's father, T'Chaka, walked over to the duo.

"Unless you need to move a piano," T'Chaka added, lightening the mood. "Miss Romanoff," He greeted.

"King T'Chaka. Please, allow me to apologise for what happened in Nigeria,"

"Thank you. Thank you for agreeing to all of this. I'm sad to hear that Captain Rogers will not be joining us today."

"Yes, so am I," Natasha said.

"If everyone could be seated, this assembly is now in session," A voice spoke through the announcement system.

"That is the future calling. Such a pleasure," T'Challa said to Natasha, who walked away. T'Chaka moved in front of T'Challa, and they started speaking in Wakandan.

"For a man who disapproves of diplomacy, you're getting quite good at it,"

"I'm happy, Father,"

King T'Chaka stood before the United Nations.

"When stolen Wakandan vibranium was used to make a terrible weapon, we in Wakanda were forced to question our legacy. Those men and women killed in Nigeria were part of a goodwill mission from a country too long in the shadows. We will not, however, let misfortune drive us back. We will fight to improve the world we wish to join. I am grateful to the Avengers for supporting this initiative. Wakanda is proud to extend it's hand in peace..." T'Challa started running towards his father.

"Everybody get down!" He shouted as he jumped at T'Chaka. The windows shattered, and there was a large explosion. T'Challa cried as he held his father's lifeless body.

Your PoV

I grabbed Sam Wilson, and ran towards the hotel that Steve and Sharon had walked back to.

"Steve, there's something you gotta see," Sam said, and we went up to Sharon's room.

"A bomb hidden in a news van ripped through the UN building in Vienna. More than 70 people have been injured. At least 12 are dead, including Wakanda's King, T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, The Winter Soldier. The infamous HYDRA agent linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassinations,"

"Steve..." I said, but Sam shook his head at me.

"I have to go to work," Sharon said.

"Sam, how many miles is Vienna?" I asked my digital assistant.

"930 miles. Approximately 2 hours,"

"I'm off to Vienna lads, stay safe," I ran out of the hotel, and down to Austria.

***

I stopped running, and bowed to T'Challa.

"Your highness. I'm sorry to hear about what happened,"

"In my culture, death is not the end. It's more of a stepping off point. You reach out with both hands and Bast and Sekhmet, they lead you into the green veldt where you can run forever," T'Challa said.

"That sounds very peaceful," Nat replied.

"My father thought so," T'Challa said, putting his father's ring on. "I am not my father,"

"T'Challa, Task Force will decide who brings in Bucky," I said. T'Challa clenched his fists and stood up.

"Don't bother, Mr (L/N). I'll kill him myself," He said before walking away. Nat's phone started ringing. She answered it and put it on speaker.

"Yeah?"

"You all right?" Steve asked.

"Uh, yeah, thanks. I got lucky. I know how much Barnes means to you. I really do. Stay home. You'll only make this worse. For all of us. Please,"

"Are you going to arrest me?"

"No. Someone will. If you interfere. That's how it works now,"

"If he's this far gone, Nat, I should be the one to bring him in,"

"Why?"

"Because I'm the one least likely to die trying," Steve hung up.

"Shit,"

"Shit indeed," I looked around, and saw a 6'0" tall man wearing a black cap, and sunglasses walk towards a cafe. I recognised this man to be Steve Rogers, the Star Spangled Man with a plan.

"What's wrong with you?" Nat asked, as I laughed to myself.

"Nothing. I'm fine. So, what do we do now?"

"We wait,"