chapter 11: hammer time

I was with Tony in the lounge area, and Rhodey walked over to us

"Alright, Rhodey?" I asked, as we shook hands.

"Woah, that voice," Rhodey noted, smiling. I rolled my eyes, and smiled back.

"Yeah, puberty hit this one like a truck," Tony said, slapping my back and walking away. Rhodey and I walked over to the main party area, and he started telling a story.

"So I take the tank, fly up to the General's palace, drop it at his feet, I'm like boom! You looking for this?" I looked sideways to see him smiling to himself. His smile, straightened.

"That story kills everywhere else," He grumbled to himself as he walked away. I walked over to the bar and sat down.

"I'll just have a can of coke please," I said to Nat, who was serving drinks. I cracked it open, and took a swig of it. I couldn't help but smile to myself whilst hearing Maria, Cap, and Thor talking about Pepper and Jane. I must've been daydreaming for a solid 10 minutes when Nat clicked her fingers, bringing me back to reality.

"Sorry, I was uhm..."

"Thinking about the enhanced?" She asked, smirking at me

"Her name's Wanda. And no, I wasn't," I said, whilst tugging my ear.

"Well, I know you're lying. You're tugging your ear," She said, and I smiled.

"It's just... I don't know, a schoolboy crush," I said, taking another drink of my coke.

"How many words have you even spoke to her?"

"That's not the point. Maybe she's like Bucky, and just needs to be unbrainwashed or something," I finished my drink and flattened the can. I walked away, and Bruce sat down in my seat. Cap grabbed my attention as I was about to walk past him. He pointed towards the bar, and I stood next to him watching Bruce and Nat... flirt?

"When did this become a thing?" I asked, smiling to Steve, who just shrugged.

***

We all sat around a table for the after party. Clint and Thor were arguing about the mechanisms of Mjolnir.

"But it's a trick,"

"No, no, it's much more than that," Thor said, smacking his beer bottle against Steve's.

"Ah, whosoever be he worthy shall haveth the power. Whatever, man! It's a trick," Clint said, imitating Thor. Nat and Bruce were continuing their flirting? Thor laughed at Clint's comment.

"Please, be my guest,"

"Go on," I said, egging him on.

"Really?"

"Yeah," Tony said, and Clint stood up.

"Clint, you've had a tough week. We won't hold it against you if you can't get it up," Everyone laughed as Clint walked over to Mjolnir and attempted to pick it up. It didn't budge. I laughed as he failed to lift the hammer.

"Please, (L/N), by all means,"

"No. I tried. 3 years ago. I wasn't worthy then, I won't be now," Clint rolled his eyes.

"A lot can change in 3 years," Thor said, and Clint agreed with him. I finished my drink, and walked over to Thor. I placed my hand on the handle of the hammer and lifted. Unsurprisingly, it didn't move.

"See, not worthy. Tony?" Tony stood up quickly, and walked over to me.

"Never one to shrink from an honest challenge. So, if I lift it, I rule Asgard?"

"Yes, of course,"

"I will be reinstituting Prima Nocta," He said, as he gripped the handle of Mjolnir and lifted up. Nothing happened.

"I'll be right back," He left, and came back with a gauntlet from one of his suits. Nothing. He got Rhodey to help with his War Machine suit. The hammer didn't budge. Next up was Bruce. He couldn't move it.

"Come on Steve, it's your turn," I said. He walked over to it, rolled his shirt sleeves up and lifted. I could swear I saw it slightly move. I looked over to Thor, whose smile had straightened. When Steve failed to lift it, I heard Thor let out a sigh of relief.

"Nothing,"

"And, Widow?" Bruce asked.

"Oh, no, no. That's not a question I need answered,"

"All deference to the Man Who Wouldn't Be King, but it's rigged," Tony said.

"You bet your ass," Clint added.

"Steve, he said a bad language word," Maria said, causing everyone to smile and laugh.

"Did you tell everyone about that?" Steve asked Tony.

"The handle's imprinted, right? Like a security code. 'Whosoever is carrying Thor's fingerprint' is, I think, the literal translation," Tony said, ignoring Stebe.

"Yes, it's a very, very interesting theory," Thor stood up and walked over to the hammer. "I have a simpler one. You're all not worthy," He said, whilst flipping the hammer. There was a loud screeching noise, which made us all wince.

"Worthy," someone growled from behind us, and we all turned around. One of Tony's Iron Legion suits stood there. It was in desperate need of fixing.

"No. How could you be worthy? You're all killers," It started moving towards us. "I'm sorry, I was asleep. Or I was a dream. There was this terrible noise. And I was tangled in... In... Strings. I had to kill the other guy. He was a good guy,"

"You killed someone?" Steve said.

"Wouldn't have been my first call. But, down in the real world, we're faced with ugly choices,"

"Who sent you?" Thor asked.

"More importantly, who are you?" I asked.

"I see a suit of armour around the world," The suit played back a message Tony had said.

"Ultron," Bruce said, turning to Tony.

"In the flesh. Or, no, not yet. Not this chrysalis," He said, looking down at the Iron Legion suit. "But I'm ready. I'm on mission,"

"What mission?" Maria asked.

"Peace in our time,"