✦・twenty seven╭╯

The sun beamed over the little meadow. The luscious green grass was freshly cut. The smell of wet mud floating in the air. Birds merrily chirped in the tall trees as they bathe in the sun's rays. Fresh, soft leaves danced in the gentle breeze. 

Night was lying in the grass, not caring if it was wet. Her hair flowed around her like a fast-flowing stream. She looked up at the sky. It was painted with a beautiful shade of blue, and the fluffy white clouds drawn over it completed the masterpiece.

She lazily closed her eyes, feeling the sun's rays fall on her. She smiled when she heard the birds sing, as they always did in early spring. It was too good of a day to worry.

"Up!" Someone shooed Night. 

Night frowned and rolled over her side. Stephanie was looming on top of her, waiting for her to stand up. Stephanie's long dark hair covered her emotionless face. Night knew better than to cross her when she was in those moods. She slowly got up, not breaking eye contact with Stephanie as she did so. 

"Why?" Night questioned.

"We have to train." Stephanie said, her voice firm like steel. 

"But you said I can take a break today." Night protested. 

Stephanie wasn't being fair. She had allowed Night to take a break after a long time. Night had been training from dawn till dusk every day, and today she had planned on doing nothing. The plan was going very well until Stephanie interrupted it.  

"Break's over." She said with the same firmness.

Night pouted. She deserved a break. All the training was taking a toll on her life. "No!"

"Yes!" 

Night stuck her tongue out at the older woman, irritating her even more. She took a step forward, closing the distance between the two of them. 

"We are going to train now! Get your sword."

"I don't want to train. You said I could take a break today." 

"I know what I said-"

"Then stand by it." Night said, stubbornly. She had no idea why Stephanie was being so persistent, but she was in no mood for training. 

"Look," Stephanie sighed, pinching the bridge of her long nose. "Train with me today and take a break for the next two days."

Night pursed her lips, thinking. She had already wasted half of the day, and getting a break for two more days was appealing enough for Night to accept. She nodded. 

"Good." Stephanie smiled. "Get ready, I'll be back in sometime."

"Where are you going?" Night asked out of curiosity before she could stop herself. 

Stephanie turned around and Night realised her mistake. Stephanie's face was grim again. "Get yourself ready. You will get to know when I'm back." She said coldly.

Night sighed when Stephanie had left. She shouldn't have asked, but it was natural for someone to be curious. Stephanie never gave her a straight answer. She always brushed off Night's questions.

Every time Stephanie said get ready, Night didn't know what to do. This time, she picked up a stone and aimed it at the nearest tree in hopes that the birds sitting on the branches would fly away. To her disappointment, her stone flew past the tree.