Chapter 04

By the time the first of September arrived, Diana had successfully managed to gain enough control over her mind to stop thinking about the Gryffindor boy she had seen in Diagon Alley.

    All she could hope for was that she wouldn't see much of him at Hogwarts, though she knew it was impossible. They shared many classes together because they were in the same year, and not to mention he always hung out with two of the loudest and most troublesome boys of Hogwarts history; it was extremely hard to ignore their presence. Even impossible.

Let's not worry about that right now, Diana thought to herself as she reached King's Cross station along with her mother, ready to start her fifth year at Hogwarts.

"Go ahead," Mrs. Greengrass told Diana as they reached the red brick wall between platform nine and ten, while she sent dangerous looks at the Muggles who were passing by and staring curiously at their direction.

Mrs. Greengrass always took a pride on when it came to being a witch, and so she refused to wear Muggle clothes in public, which always caused Muggles to stare at her and her weird robes.

Taking in a breath, Diana pushed her trolley forward and toward the red brick wall, closing her eyes, and waiting to pass through. When she opened her eyes again, she found herself among familiar faces, hooting owls, purring cats, and the students hugging their parents goodbye. She was once again back in Platform 9 3/4.

    The next moment, her mother appeared beside Diana, though she kept on looking down at others as they moved forward. Mrs. Greengrass knew their pure blood-line was superior to those Mudbloods who had been allowed to enter Hogwarts, and their family had made sure to teach this belief to Darwin and Diana ever since they were kids.

"Don't forget to study well," said Mrs. Greengrass, bringing Diana into one last hug before pulling away. "O.W.Ls are crucial for your future. Remember that."

"Yes, I know," she mumbled.

But then Diana suddenly felt a rush of happiness when from over her mother's shoulder, she saw a girl with beautiful brown skin and a gorgeous afro, sending a wink at her direction before boarding the train.

    Diana finally grinned, happy to see the face of the only person that she could actually tolerate. That was her old friend, Layla Miller.

"Goodbye, Mother," said Diana, carrying her trunk onto the train.

The moment she turned to walk down the train's corridor, Diana was caught off guard when someone leapt forward and brought her into a tight hug.

"Hey, Layla," said Diana with a happy laughter, pulling back with a grin.

"What do you think of the hair?" Layla asked with a broad smile, puffing her afro as she batted her eyelashes.

"Nice," said Diana with a grin, carrying her trunk down the train's corridor.

Layla crossed her arms. "This hair took me all morning. You gotta give me more than nice —"

"Uh oh..." Diana came to a halt, her eyes fixed on someone standing at the end of the corridor.

"What is it? Is it my hair? Did I not get it curly enough —" Layla was asking, but she was cut off when Diana got a hold of her sleeve, dragging her into the compartment to their right.

    With her heart beating rapidly, Diana briskly closed the compartment door behind them. Although when she turned around, she saw that the compartment was already occupied; two second years were sitting there, staring up at Diana and Layla in confusion.

"Do you kids mind finding another compartment?" said Diana, looking between them.

"Excuse me, but we got here first!" one of the boys dared to speak up, but by the look Diana gave him, the two kids got up immediately and left the compartment.

"Okay, what on earth is going on with you?" Layla questioned, raising a brow at Diana. "You kicked those two kids out. Not to mention you just left our trunks in the corridor —"

"Could you go out and see if he's gone?" Diana said quickly, pursing her lips together.

"Who? Speak, woman!"

"The boy with brown hair and brown eyes!" Diana huffed. "Just go, will you?"

Rolling her eyes, Layla opened the compartment door again and peered her head outside, looking around. "There's no boy with that description standing there."

"Good. Then he's gone." Diana sighed to herself before helping Layla bring their trunks inside.

"Are you trying to dodge Evan again? Actually no, his eyes are blue." But then Layla shook her head, trying to remain focused. "Who are you hiding from?"

"I'm not hiding from anyone!" Diana said stubbornly, placing her trunk above the seats. "He's — he's the skinny guy who always hangs around with James Potter and Sirius Black — the tall one — always looks exhausted — with scars on his face."

"Hold up." Layla raised a hand to stop her. "Are you talking about Remus Lupin?"

"Oh, yeah!" Diana nodded, finally remembering his name now that Layla had mentioned it.

"He's cute." Layla smirked playfully, sitting down next to the window. "He's not the flirty type though, unlike Black."

    Diana gave her a look, knowing very well that she was talking from experience.

"Anyway, what's your deal with him?" Layla questioned with a mischievous grin. "Did you two shag over summer?"

"What!? Ew, no!" Diana frowned in disgust, shaking her head rapidly.

"Well, then I'm slowly losing interest in this conversation."

"Fine, then there won't be a conversation —"

"No, tell me!"

    Diana heaved a long sigh. "You won't believe me if I told you."