Chapter 14

It was in the morning when Remus finally woke up in the hospital wing. His memories of the previous night were a bit hazy, but he remembered that it had been rough in the transformation, though he also remembered having a stag, a dog, and a rat for company.

     Every time on the night of a full moon, only a few hours before his transformation, Madam Pomfrey would help Remus through the Whomping Willow and all the way toward the Shrieking Shack.

     Meanwhile, Sirius, James, and Peter would be hiding nearby outside the Whomping Willow, waiting for Madam Pomfrey to leave. They would wait for Remus's transformation to be completed, before turning into their Animagi forms and joining him in the Shrieking Shack.

    Although each morning, the three boys would wake up at sun rise to leave the Shrieking Shack before Madam Pomfrey came to assist Remus back to the hospital wing.

     "Oh, good. You're awake." Remus turned his head weakly on his pillow at the voice, seeing Madam Pomfrey. She had just opened the hospital wing's doors, walking inside with a bottle of Potion in her hand, which had smoke coming off from it.

    "Here, drink this," she said, walking toward his bed.

      Placing the bottle on the nightstand beside his bed, Madam Pomfrey helped Remus into a sitting position so he was now leaning back against the headboard. She then handed him the bottle.

      The moment the familiar scent of the disgusting potion reached his nostrils, he made gagging noise in disgust.

     "Every time." Madam Pomfrey sighed, handing the bottle back to Remus forcefully. "One might think you'd gotten used to the smell by now."

     "The taste is even worse. Believe me," Remus said with a grimace, drinking the potion with difficulty. He felt a bit of the pain in his body ease the moment his swallowed it, but his bones still ached since last night.

    "Hmm... that's odd," Madam Pomfrey mused, studying Remus's face and then his arms.

     "What is it?" Remus frowned, placing down the bottle to take the smell away from him.

     "No new wounds," Madam Pomfrey acknowledged.

     This was in fact very odd, because each full moon, Remus would end up with bite and scratch marks all over his body. To have control over his werewolf side, Remus would bite himself in order to prevent himself from attack anyone or anything else.

     But Madam Pomfrey was right. When Remus looked down, he didn't find any fresh wounds. He couldn't hide away his smile, because he knew the reason behind this. With James, Sirius, and Peter keeping him company the previous night, he was too distracted to hurt himself.

     "Well, you better get some rest," Madam Pomfrey said after her routine checkup to make sure he was all right. "You won't be able to attend your classes today, but if by the end of the night you're as healthy as you seem to be now, I'll permit your return for tomorrow."

     Remus gave her a little appreciating smile. "Thank you."

"Anytime. Now finish your potion," Madam Pomfrey said with authority before making her way out of the hospital wing, closing its doors behind her.

     With yet another sigh, Remus brought up the bottle to his mouth to take a sip, but he spit it out the next moment out of shock when suddenly James, Sirius, and Peter appeared inside the ward from underneath James's Invisibility Cloak.

     "Hello, Moony," Sirius said with a grin as the three of them made their way toward his bed.

     While Peter was wearing his full Hogwarts uniform, James and Sirius had decided not to put on their black cloaks and so were now only in their white button-up shirts. Sirius had his sleeves rolled up, and James was wearing his Gryffindor tie in such an untidy way that would anger McGonagall if she saw it.

     "What are you guys doing here?" Remus asked in surprise, unable to suppress his broad smile.

     "Came to see our favorite werewolf, of course," James said cheekily, winking at him.

     "We've been waiting outside the ward under the Cloak for so long," said Peter with a tired expression. "We had to wait for Madam Pomfrey to open the door before sneaking in."

     "She nearly saw our feet, though," said Sirius grumpily. "We all had to crouch down."

     "And whose fault is that?" James retorted as he tucked the Invisibility Cloak into his backpack before tossing his bag on the floor carelessly. "You've gotten too tall over the summer, Padfoot. We can barely all fit under it, thanks to you."

    But Sirius seemed completely unbothered by this and kept on smirking, even a bit flattered.

     "Thanks for coming, guys. But you should better go. I don't want you to miss breakfast because of me," Remus said worriedly, but the three boys only smiled.

     "Not to worry, Moony. We've got it all covered," said James, before looking over at Peter with a grin. "Wormtail, if you will."

     With that, Peter dug into his bag, taking out a large lunchbox, which was filled to the top with bacon and toast. But Remus was even more surprised when Peter took out four small bottles of Butterbeer which were closed with leads so it wouldn't drip inside his bag.

     "We paid a little visit to the kitchen before coming up here," said Sirius, and Remus laughed happily.

     "Now move up your arse, Moony. I wanna sit down. 'Been waiting outside the ward for too long that my feet hurt," said James, sitting beside Remus on the bed and leaning his back against the headboard as well.

    Sirius followed his action, sitting on Remus's other side, having to squeeze against one another so they wouldn't fall down from the sides of the bed. Peter handed out the Butterbeer bottles before taking his seat at the end of the bed.

      They had placed the lunchbox in the middle of the bed, taking the toasts out to eat along with the bacon.

      "Ugh, what's that smell." James grimaced, until his eyes fell on the potion in Remus's hand. "Get that thing away from me."

     He then took the bottle out of Remus's hand and placed in on the nightstand, handing Remus a bottle of Butterbeer.

    "Now this is gonna make you feel better," said James with a smirk as he took a sip from his own drink.

     Remus smiled, drinking up. The truth was that he had actually started to feel better ever since his friends had shown up at the hospital wing, but he doubted if it had anything to do with the Butterbeer.

     "She said yes to go out with me, by the way," Sirius said out-of-the-blue, taking a large sip of his drunk.

     "Who?" Peter mused in confusion.

     "Who do you think?" said James, giving him a look as though it should've been obvious. "Diana Greengrass, of course."