Chapter 34

They could tell that the train was close to the King's Cross station, for they had long left the green countryside and it was already night. Everyone had started to take off their Wizarding robes to wear their jackets and coats so they could blend in with the Muggles. But not Diana and Regulus.

While he changed into his more formal Wizarding clothes, Diana had to change into a plain gown that her mother would approve of.

"I hate this shitty dress! I look bloody hideous!" Diana whined, looking down at herself mournfully.

"Woah! What's with that language?" Layla said jokingly.

"I can't curse for two weeks while I'm at home. So right now I'm trying to curse as much as I can while I'm free."

"I don't see what you're complaining about. That dress looks pretty normal to me," said Regulus, glancing over at her. "Besides, it's way better than wearing Muggle clothes just to blend in. I never understood why we had to hide from them."

"It's not a matter wearing Wizarding or Muggle clothes! It's that I can't stand being in this stupid dress!" Diana said ungraciously, groaning in misery. "Why can't women be allowed to wear trousers in my family?"

"Well, you just have to suck it up for two weeks, and then you'll be back at Hogwarts," Layla tried to say comfortingly, but that didn't help Diana's mood at all.

Once the Hogwarts Express came to a stop in platform nine and three-quarters, the students grabbed their trunks and were quick to make their way out of the train to meet up with their families.

The platform was as crowded as ever. An old Wizarding guard was up by the ticket barrier, letting them go through the gate in small groups so they didn't attract attention by all bursting out of a solid wall at once and catching the Muggles' attention.

Although before passing through the barrier, Diana caught sight of Remus in platform nine and three-quarters, saying goodbye to his friends in the distance. She then saw Regulus throw a dark glance at where his brother stood before shaking his head and running through the barrier with his trolley.

Just as Diana had her gaze fixed on Remus without realizing it, he turned his head toward her and their eyes met. She saw the look of guilt wash over his face as he frowned sorrowfully, but Diana briskly looked away from him after sending a glare at his direction.

Despite his cold apology the previous week in that empty corridor right before their class, Diana still couldn't find it in herself to forgive him.

First he had almost kissed her in the library, but the next thing she knew, he had completed their assignment on his own without even asking her, trying to get rid of her. He hadn't even denied it when Diana had tried to confront him. He had proved that he was no different than his friends.

Diana and Layla followed right after Regulus, appearing in the Muggle side of King's Cross station moments later. Layla was first to see her parents, and so she bade the other two goodbye before leaving the station along with her family.

"There's my mother," said Regulus, who had been searching the crowd for her. "But I guess we still have to wait for my brother. He's always last to arrive."

Diana looked over and followed Regulus's gaze, seeing a tall and slim woman with black hair walking toward them, her Wizarding gown wore on proudly. Walburga Black strangely reminded Diana of her own mother, with the way she looked at the passing Muggles with disgust.

"Hello, Regulus," said Mrs. Black, embracing her son for a quick moment before turning her glance on Diana curiously, one brow arched upward. "And who is this?"