Chapter 40

***

***

Diana gaped at Remus, sure that she had heard him wrong. It was more probable that Filch would dance around the Great Hall naked than to hear Remus Lupin ask her out.

     "Wh-what?" Diana stared up at him, trying desperately not to show how shocked she was, and yet failing miserably.

    "Well, just to be clear, this won't be a real date," said Remus with the same mischievous smile, making Diana even more confused.

     "What in the name of Merlin's balls are you talking about, Lupin?" Diana snapped, making him chuckle at her choice of words.

     "Last week you told me that you hate the idea of going on a date, and that cheesiness is your nightmare," Remus explained, grinning. "If you lose the bet, you'll have to agree to go on the worst fake-date that has ever existed in the history of dating, on the next Hogsmeade trip."

    Diana wanted to sigh in relief that he wasn't actually asking her out. But then why was she feeling slightly disappointed deep down?

     "Be more specific, Lupin," she said sharply as she folded her arms again, trying to hide away all the emotions in her voice. "How bad of a date are we talking about here?"

     "Oh, don't worry. It's going to be a living nightmare," said Remus, smiling sweetly. "One that will make you regret ever suggesting the bet in the first place. It will be a day you'll never forget, so it can be a reminder that I beat you at the Ancient Runes test."

     Diana pursed her lips together, thinking this through and pondering the matter. She was afraid to know what Remus had in mind. But then again, she was curious to see what would happen if she said yes.

     "Well?" said Remus after a long pause. "Do we have a deal?"

     Sighing in defeat, Diana finally nodded. "Fine. Deal."

     Holding on a stubborn face, Diana raised her hand. With a confident smile, Remus took her hand and held her gaze as they shook on it.

***

The realization of what Remus had done didn't hit him until later that night, when he was sitting in the Gryffindor common room with James, Sirius, and Peter.

    What was I thinking? Next Hogsmeade visit is on Valentine's day! Remus thought to himself gloomily, feeling the urge to hit his head against a wall. I can't be around her with James and Sirius snooping around.

    James and Sirius were already curious about who Remus had started to like lately, after Peter had let it slip. This was just going to make everything worse.

     Remus didn't even know why he had suggested that to her in the first place. All he knew was that each time he talked to Diana, she brought out a different version of him; someone bolder. More confident. More daring.