Chapter 09

As soon as the class came to an end, Diana quickly packed her bag and made a run over the door, leaving the classroom as fast as she could. She hurried toward the entrance hall, where she always met up with Layla after their separate classes.

The walk back to the main tower took quicker for her than in the morning, probably because Diana was too lost in her thoughts to even pay attention to her surroundings.

Once she reached the entrance hall, she saw Layla standing by the Great Hall's doorway, flirting with a sixth year Hufflepuff boy. Shaking her head with a little grin, Diana leaned against the wall, waiting for Layla's conversation to come to an end.

When she saw the boy waving Layla goodbye and walk into the Great Hall, Diana finally approached her friend, who was still standing by the doorway.

"And who is the new lucky boy?" Diana asked as Layla joined her and the two of them made their way out of the castle.

"Ben. Short for Benjamin." Layla grinned. "Got myself a date for the upcoming Hogsmeade trip."

"Of course you did." Diana laughed, knowing her best friends all too well. Layla never went to Hogsmeade without a date, and never with the same guy. "Did you also warn him that you have a little brother who will kick his arse if he crosses the line?"

"Not yet. But I'll make sure to mention it," Layla said with a little laugh. "Anyway, how was Ancient Runes?" she asked as the two of them sat down on the freshly-cut grass, enjoying the sunny weather while it lasted.

"It was a nightmare " Diana grumbled, closing her eyes and rubbing her temples.

Layla chuckled. "What happened?"

"Remus Lupin happened," Diana replied with a grimace.

"Ooh, am I hearing the start of a love story?" Layla nudged her with a teasing grin.

"No! Shut up!" Diana pushed her on the arm playfully, but Layla only laughed harder. "It's not like that!"

"That's what everyone says at the beginning."

"No! And you know what? That boy is not as innocent as he looks! I can feel it!"

"What did he do?"

"He — he answered a question, I tried to correct him, but turns out he was right —"

"What a monster!" Layla gasped dramatically.

"That's not what I'm getting at. When I got it wrong, he actually smiled. I saw it! It was a cocky, evil grin. He's more troublesome than what he lets on, trust me."

"Who? The sugar-pie boy?" Layla scoffed. "Lupin does not look like the troublesome type. He's too innocent for that."

"I mean, how innocent can he be when his best pals are James Potter and Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew?"

"Hmm... good point."

"Well, I'm just glad we don't have another Ancient Runes class for another week."

"Maybe. But we still have Potions, Transfigurations, and Defense Against the Dark Arts with Gryffindors this year."

"Ugh, why did you have to remind me?" Diana groaned, dropping herself down on the grass so now she was laying on her back, while Layla chuckled at her state.

***

After their classes that day, the Slytherin Quidditch team was holding their first practice in the afternoon. Diana bid Layla goodbye after they left the Charms' classroom, and so she made her way down to the Quidditch field.