Chapter 100

***

***

Diana sat frozen on the spot, staring from Evan to her parents. She could read from the angry expression on her mother's face that she wanted to say, 'I have already told you about this, so don't you dare make a scene.'

      "Well, Diana?" Mrs. Rosier called her name, catching her attention again. "Do you have any specific date in mind?"

      "I..." Diana tried to speak, opening her mouth and closing it again, but she couldn't possibly form the words, as though they were stuck in her throat. She had clenched her hands on her lap, avoiding the eyes that were watching her around the table.

      Diana had always known, ever since she was a child, that one day after coming of age her parents were going to betroth her to a boy from a Pureblood family. But she had hoped that the day would be years away from now, and she had never expected that this boy was going to be Evan Rosier. If she had known...

      "Maybe this Christmas?" Mrs. Rosier suggested. "The sooner the wedding takes place, the better. Given the... state of things."

     "I'm sure the war will not affect the marital bond between two Pureblood Wizarding families," Mrs. Greengrass said. "And, with all due respect, I'm sure Diana would want to graduate from Hogwarts before getting married."

     "If I may," Evan interjected, still seated beside Diana. He cleared his throat as he leaned back against his chair, saying, "Might I suggest the first week of July? That way, my dear Miss Greengrass would be done with school, and the weather would be neither hot, nor cold."

     "Wonderful idea!" Mrs. Greengrass smiled. "And Evan, you don't need to call her Miss. She's going to be your bride, after all. Just call her Diana."

     "Very well," Evan said politely, but Diana could still hear the arrogance dripping off his every word.

      Diana was frowning down at the table, trying to swallow up every word she wished to yell at all these people around the table. Everything had happened so fast that she still didn't know how to react. She didn't even know how to slow the frantic beating of her heart, or to control her temper.

     Just then, she felt Evan grab her hand under the table, which had been clenched on her knee. At the touch of his skin on hers, Diana abruptly pulled her hand away from him and shot to her feet like a reflex, breathing heavily through her nostrils.

      She could see from where she stood that her mother had gritted her teeth together, ordering her with her glaring eyes to sit back down. But Diana couldn't take any of this anymore.

      To avoid the later wrath of her mother, she turned to face Mrs. Rosier calmly, saying as politely as she could muster, "May I ask where the bathroom is?"

      "Oh, of course. Down the hall, first door to the left," Mrs. Rosier answered. Diana's mother looked slightly less angry now, glad that Diana hadn't made a scene.