Chapter 85

The next morning Diana woke up with a bad mood which was obvious from the deep frown on her forehead and her extremely messy hair as she left the common room. Layla and Regulus kept glancing at each other knowingly, none of them daring to say a single word.

      The three of them entered the Great Hall and made their way toward the Slytherin table, although Diana then  walked up to a group of second year Slytherin boys.

     "That's our seat. Move," Diana said firmly. The boys looked up to argue, but when they saw who it was, they obeyed without another word and moved a bit further. They had obviously witnessed her outburst of the previous night and the way she had dropped Avery to the ground and had beaten him up. 

      Layla sat beside her friend worriedly. Diana's harsh tone and deep frown was familiar to her, because that's exactly how she had been for their first five years at Hogwarts.

     For a few months, Diana had changed tremendously, but ever since last night, she seemed to have returned to her old cold and brutal self. Although Layla certainly didn't blame her. Remus Lupin was the first person Diana had genuinely trusted, and yet he broke her heart.

      After breakfast, Diana left the Great Hall and departed with her friends to get to her class, which she had been dreading since last night; she had Ancient Runes.

      Taking in a deep breath as if to ready herself for battle, Diana walked into the classroom. Professor Kumar hadn't arrived yet, but she could see Remus sitting at the front of the class on his usual seat. The space beside him was empty, where Diana always sat.

     As though sensing her presence, Remus turned his head and his eyes got locked with Diana, who stood frozen at the doorway. With sadness in his eyes and an apologetic smile on his lips, he sent her a little wave.

     Giving him a cold glare, Diana looked away from him and walked up to one of the empty seats at the end of the class, furthest away from Remus.

     His face suddenly fell, and his heart got filled with agony and guilt. Remus knew what he had done was wrong, but he'd thought that he was keeping her from being hurt.

      He knew that if his friends found out about them, they would tease him for dating a Pureblood Slytherin girl who had a reputation when it came to her  bad temper. Remus didn't want Diana to feel hurt because of his friends' harsh words and teasings. But as it turned out, he was the one who had hurt her, and that was the last thing he wanted.

     It pained his heart to even think that he had caused her any pain, and he wanted to make it right. So, Remus mustered all his courage and got to his feet to walk up to her and talk to her, but before he could even take the first step, the teacher entered the classroom and he had to sit back down.

     "Hello. Sorry I'm late. Everyone take your seats, please," said Professor Kumar as she hurriedly walked up to the front of the class where her desk was and placed her books down upon it.

     Although when she looked up, she took aback when she saw that Diana's seat beside Remus was empty. Professor Kumar glanced around the room, only to find the Slytherin girl sitting at the back of the class, her chin resting on her palm as she doodled in her book with her quill. She looked awfully sad and dull.

     Guessing that it had something to do with Remus, Professor Kumar decided not to interfere, and so, clearing her throat, she began the lesson.

***

      "... it is also strongly believed that Vikings used runes for divination. The evidence for divination in the Viking Age suggests a culture of prophecy by seeresses," said Professor Kumar as the class was coming to an end. "Now, a Völva was a woman in the Viking age who practiced magic, also known as Seidr. Who knows what that word means?"