Chapter 30

***

***

With Layla Miller on one side of him and Diana Greengrass on the other, Regulus was forced to accompany the two older girls down toward the Black Lake.

     The snow had stopped falling and the sunlight was peaking through the grey clouds which were starting to forsake the sky. The water had frozen throughout the previous night, and now that the students were free for the day of all their classes, many of them had left the castle to play.

     They passed a group of young Hufflepuffs who were building a large snowman and placing a carrot on its face as the nose, with black buttons as its eyes and two pieces of wood for the hands. They had even wrapped their yellow and black scarf around its neck. The only fascinating thing about it was that they had placed a charm on its wooden hands to make them move.

    As they passed by, Diana and Regulus both rolled their eyes when they sighted a few Gryffindor first years laying down on the snow and making snow angels.

    "All right! Here we are!" Layla boisterously announced when they finally reached the edge of the frozen lake.

     "I can't believe you talked me into this," Regulus said reproachfully.

     "She didn't talk you into it. She dragged you into it," Diana corrected him, but Layla was already in the process of placing a Slippery Charm on the bottom of her shoes with her wand.

     "Come on, you two. You don't have to be so grumpy all the time," Layla said with a little laugh as she placed her wand back in her pocket, before finally stepping on the ice, gliding over gracefully.

     "I don't even know the spell!" said Regulus with a shrewish face.

     "I do. She's been dragging me here for years," said Diana, taking her wand out of her pocket to put the charm underneath her own shoes.

     "Foot up, Black," she demanded after she was done, turning to face him with a grin. Regulus sighed, obliging.

     Once the spell was placed on his shoes as well, the two of them cautiously walked over on the ice, trying to keep their balance as they slid over.

     Layla knew better not to go to the middle of the lake, aware of the fact that the ice was thinner there. But she was already way ahead of the other two, gliding with no difficulty. Diana and Regulus, on the other hand, were still struggling not to fall flat on their backs.

     "Woah!" Regulus gasped as he nearly lost his balance, but managed to hold himself up in the last moment.

    Diana snorted with laughter. "I see you're a professional ice dancer," she said sarcastically.

    "As if you're any better," Regulus retorted, skating alongside her slowly.

     "I can definitely beat you."