Chapter 20

Later that night, Diana sat in the Slytherin common room with Layla, doing their homework which had been given to them that very same day. They'd decided not to leave their homework for the weekends anymore, because they would all pile up and take them two whole days to finish.

     Diana had placed a little stone in front of her with her wand in hand, practicing the Vanishing Spell that Professor McGonagall had taught them that day. Meanwhile, Layla was busy writing her Charms essay on Entrancing Enchantments.

     "Evanesco!" Diana said with her wand pointed at the stone, but nothing happened. She then checked Layla's notes on the subject to make sure she was doing the wand movement correctly.

     "All right, I'm done," said Layla, putting down her quill at last.

      "How is that even possible? It took me three hours to write! It took you less than one!" Diana frowned as she looked down at Layla's neatly-written essay.

   "Quickening Charm," Layla explained with a proud grin. "I put it on my quill to be able to write faster."

     "Smart. But that Charm's really advanced. Even more than N.E.W.T level," Diana said with fascination, observing her friend's quill.

     "I know." Layla shrugged, still grinning. "I'm starting to get really good at performing spells this year."

     "I'm better off writing and reading theoretical stuff," Diana said, glaring down at the stone which remained visible on the table. "Meh. I better stick with Ancient Runes and History of Magic and other subjects like that."

     "Here. Let me show you the wand movement for the Vanishing Spell," Layla started, taking out her own wand.

     Just then, three seventh year boys walked down into the common room, dropping themselves down on the black leather couches in front of the green fireplace. Diana groaned to herself as she saw that among them was Evan Rosier.

      "...still thinking about it, of course," Evan continued speaking as they sat down. "But I'm pretty certain it's gonna happen this summer, after I graduate Hogwarts."

     "You sure?" one of the other boys asked. "I mean, it's one thing to support the idea of Pureblood supermacy, but to join the Dark Lord —"

     "Keep your voice down!" the third boy cut him off, looking around anxiously.

     Diana and Layla glanced at each other sideways before looking down at their books, pretending to be reading while they listened to their conversation.

     "Joining the Dark Lord would be an honor," said Evan, smirking as he leaned back on the couch. "There is no place for Mudbloods in this school, nor in the Wizarding world. We'll make sure of that."

***

It was as though Layla and Diana had come to a silent agreement not to talk about what they had heard Evan Rosier say that night. But the next morning, as they were sitting in the Great Hall for breakfast, Layla couldn't hold herself back anymore.

"You don't really think Rosier is actually considering joining You-Know-Who, do you?" Layla asked in a low whisper, her appetite not as good as usual.

"I'm surprised he hasn't joined already. I knew he would join sooner or later." Diana shrugged. "The Dark Lord is getting stronger everyday, and the number of his followers and supporters are growing by each passing hour."

"It's one thing to believe in Pureblood supremacy, but to become a Death Eater..." Layla shivered at the thought. "Rosier had never seemed as the type. How were you so sure about his future intentions?"