Chapter 55

The next morning was their last exam, which was History of Magic. Diana was unable to study for it at all the previous night. The memories of the visions kept flashing before her eyes. Her headache still hadn't fully gone away.

On the day they were supposed to leave Hogwarts and go back home for the summer holidays, Diana and Layla stayed in their dorm to pack all their clothes and books. The other girls who shared their dorm had already gone down to breakfast. It was now just the two of them in the room.

Diana was seated on the floor right in front of her trunk. She was staring down at practically nowhere, sitting there motionlessly as though still in shock, her mind wandering far off..

"I know what you're thinking about," Layla said with a sigh as she waved her wand and her trunk closed on its own.

Diana didn't reply. She kept staring down fixedly and without blinking. She hadn't even heard Layla speak.

Layla went toward her and sat beside her on the floor. "Diana?"

Finally snapping out of her thoughts, Diana shook her head and turned to face her friend. "Yeah?"

"I know you're worried about the Black situation, but I'm sure you can think of something to do to fix it," said Layla sympathetic.

"What?" Diana frowned in confusion, her mind still not fully present. "What Black situation?"

Layla took aback. "You know... the arranged marriage with Sirius Black."

"Bloody hell! I wasn't even thinking about that!" Diana groaned as she dropped herself down on the floor, laying there on her back as she covered her face with her hands.

"Then what were you thinking about? You've been acting really weird lately. You disappeared completely after going to the Divination practical exam."

"Layla," Diana began breathlessly, sitting up again to face her, "I think I'm losing my mind."

Layla scoffed, looking her up and down. "You think?"

"This is serious!" Diana said in panic, her mouth going dry. "I — I saw something. During the Divination exam, I mean."

"Er... what?"

"A — a vision, I think — I can't be sure if it can even be called that. I saw dead people — a lot of them. The first few ones that I saw were more clear, as though they had already happened in the past. But — but the last vision I saw was kind of blurry. Foggy. I couldn't even see their faces properly. It was like — it felt like it hadn't happened yet."

Layla gaped at her, fearing for her friend's mental health. "So... you think it was a prediction?"

Diana sighed, looking away. "I'm not sure what it was. I can't make sense of it when I think of it now, but I know what I felt back then, and it definitely felt like it really was a prediction."

"Do you think that... that you're a Seer?" Layla spoke quietly, as though afraid that if she said it out loud, it would make it real.

"No," Diana whispered. "Maybe a month ago I thought I was a Seer. But now... now I'm sure that I am one."

***