Chapter one

I took a deep breath as I stepped out of my bedroom

I took a deep breath as I stepped out of my bedroom. Flashbacks were a constant in my life ever since they died.

My parents were the people I've always looked up to. Even after almost ten years since they died. I've always preferred to say they died rather than they were killed since I wasn't used to that term.

I was too young to know what was happening in the courtroom and even now, I know solely the basics of what went on before they crashed.

A day after it happened, my sister and I were taken to my mother's best friend Natalia's house and lived there until Ada and I moved out after college. Even though they weren't related, Natalia has been grieving my mother's death ever since it happened. She was like the sister my mother never had and the aunt I never knew I needed.

She and her husband were the reason why my sister and I continued to live successful and nurtured lives. But ever since the investigation seven years ago, she's stopped talking about my parents since I knew there was something more to the story than she led us to believe. I never pushed for an answer, but each time my nightmares bothered me I wanted nothing more than to know exactly who took my parents away.

Some nights, I wished I died in that crash with them.

But I survived.

I wiped the tears off my cheeks and fixed the small amount of makeup I had on in my bathroom before Ada's voice shouted from downstairs.

"Bri! Can you come down, Kassian is here," my head jerked upwards until my eyes were locked with my reflection in the mirror. I wasn't expecting to see Kassian today. Especially since I'd barely spoken to him all of the three months, I'd known him. He was always too busy to have lengthy dinners with his fiancé's sister. Although he found some free time to see Natalia.

Even if they were already well-acquainted.

I collected my emotions before locking them in a deeper compartment of my brain and left my bathroom before heading towards the stairs. I recognised Kassian immediately sitting on one of the white couches in our living room. He wore a full suit with a white dress shirt underneath the jacket. His dark brown hair was slightly curly at the top but was sprayed with hairspray or even fixed up with gel to keep it from falling apart. He was a cute guy with a good heart (as far as I heard) and a man with many riches.

"Brielle!" She stood up, walking over to me. She gave me a tight hug and looked into my eyes. "Are you okay?" I smiled, slightly nodding, trying to not look suspicious. Ada was just a few inches taller than me and was the exact clone of my father. 

I squeezed her hand and she turned around. Her fiancé stood up, smiling.

"It's lovely to see you again, Brielle," I smiled before engaging in a short hug with him.

Another thing I noticed about Kassian was the black ink on his hand, which I assumed stretched all the way across his arm.

Just as I pulled away from him, I noticed the other man sitting on the opposite couch with his eyes aimed right at me.