Chapter nine

I stepped out of the shower, wrapping a towel around my waist

I stepped out of the shower, wrapping a towel around my waist. I looked at the mirror above my sink and checked myself out. My beard had started to grow out since I got back from the US but I wasn't in any mood to fix it yet. I looked good with or without a beard so I didn't care too much about appearing worse.

I brushed my teeth before heading into my walk-in closet and picking out the clothes I'd need. I put on my boxers, followed by my black dress pants and a white dress shirt. I looked through the floor-to-ceiling window in the room as I buttoned the shirt up and later fixed my cuffs.

I put on some socks and then my black Louboutin shoes before spritzing some perfume onto myself. My hair dried in less than fifteen minutes completely so I didn't worry about blow-drying it. I walked over to a dresser and opened a smaller drawer, which was meant for jewellery and other accessories. I chose a silver Rolex before I put it on and exited the closet. I grabbed my phone from my bedside table and headed out of the room.

I proceeded to answer some texts from Mattia and my IT specialist, Greta. She was helping me out with anything I needed to get hacked or anything I needed to be found, erased or published. After so many years of working in the mafia, I've learned most of it myself and was capable of doing it on my own but I didn't want to crowd my day with such work. It was why I had a trustworthy person behind all of it.

Just when I got down the stairs to the first floor and entered the massive kitchen, I almost jumped. Almost.

"What a lovely morning, isn't it?" Vittoria asked in Italian. I smiled as I made my way towards her, wondering what the hell she was doing here and how in the hell she got in. She welcomed me with open arms before I pulled away and tucked my phone in the back pocket of my pants.

Vittoria was the baby of the family. She had just turned twenty-one and was finishing her third year of university. She was about to earn a bachelor's in engineering which she worked hard to achieve. My sister had very light blond hair, which wasn't her natural colour. She was born with brown hair just like the rest of my family, yet loved how good she looked as a blond so she dyed it.

She was five-seven, resembled my mother and was the most active and expressive member of my family. She loved shopping and travelling, the latter of which, kept her away from Italy most of the time. She studied here in Rome but often worked online to pursue her hobbies.

Above all of that, she was the most innocent out of all of us. Even my cousin Verona had her hands dirty with some of her father's dirty work but Vittoria was kept away from it. And for good reason. It was one of my top priorities when I began to train to take over. I wanted her to live the best possible life without knowing what our father was truly capable of.

It was all because of pure love and guilt. I failed to protect my brother from my father's hand and the one person I could still save was Vittoria. And despite all of my efforts, she got hurt once and that was enough to make me lose my mind.