Chapter twenty-two

I stepped out of my Mercedes-Benz after parking it in the garage and walked inside through the door in the garage, leading to the hallway where the offices were

I could already hear the soft classical music coming from the ballroom yet instead of mixing with the mass of people gathered. I ascended the stairs that were close to my father's office and headed towards my bedroom. Just when I reached the grand staircase, I came across my sister who was heading in the same direction as me.

"How nice of you to show up," she smiled at me before wrapping an arm around my waist and hugging me.

"Nice to see you too," I smiled before she stopped in front of Brielle's door.

"Well, go on, it's not like you're interested in girl talk," I rolled my eyes.

"You look good, Vic," she gave me a nod in appreciation. She wore a long and tight-fitting black sequent dress with a deep-V cut and a high slit, revealing one of her legs. Her blond hair was put up in a low bun with a few strands curled in front. My sister took after our mother for her beauty and she relished in it.

I entered my bedroom and closed the door behind me, letting the darkness and silence engulf me. Leaving the light off, I walked over to the glass door and opened it before walking onto the balcony.

I inhaled the chilly mid-spring air as I looked out at the setting sun. The sunlight shone a beautiful light onto the nature around and especially the rose garden down below. I had to agree that it was beautiful but the memories that crowded my head every time I glanced at it, made me lose my self-control.

I looked away from the garden and as I took out a pack of cigarettes alongside my lighter, I walked to the other side of the balcony and lit my cig. I inhaled the smoke and held it in my mouth for a few seconds before blowing it out. I looked at the other side of the large area the estate sat in the middle of.

The cigarette barely left a tingle in my throat and even though I preferred not to smoke them, they felt nice afterwards.

A few days ago, when Brielle left me in the greenhouse, I started thinking I might have outdone myself. I didn't want to admit it to her she was one of the primary reasons for calling off the wedding. And yet it felt good at that moment to see her surprised eyes. She didn't think I was so into her. And I had to admit I was trying to hate her when everything I wanted was to be as nice and caring as I could.

Tapping away some of the ashes, I took a hit as I looked at the clouds in the far swimming towards us.

Ever since she left me alone days ago, I'd seen her once. Even then she didn't bother to pay me a glance. She was clearly ignoring me which I completely understood to some extent but it wasn't pleasant to sleep alone these past few nights after having the best rest of my life with her. Solely because of that, I spent my nights at my penthouse.

I knew for a fact I'd see her tonight since it was the first official celebration of the up-and-coming wedding. The one person I was mostly dreading to see was Saint. Laura, to my knowledge, had been going around the estate with her head held high and her pride on her sleeve since her daddy was coming to see what was going on in the house where she lived. Eduardo tried to warn me not to act foolishly and at least act as though I was aware of her existence.