Chapter twenty-one

Sitting in the greenhouse, I tried my hardest to remember all of the good times I'd had with Colson

Sitting in the greenhouse, I tried my hardest to remember all of the good times I'd had with Colson. I had already decided to end things between us once I landed in Italy but now, everything new I had found out, was finally pushing me towards the right decision.

I didn't want to be the coward who broke up with someone through a text, so the best way I could end all of it once and for all was to tell him face-to-face. He was going to be hurt, I was sure of it, but I had to focus on whatever I needed. He was holding me back from my potential happiness and I wasn't going to allow him that.

"Am I interrupting?" I heard Kassian's voice from behind. I smiled as I looked back at him and shook my head.

"Not at all," he smiled and walked over to the adjacent chair to mine. Despite being brothers, Kassian and Nicolas shared scarcely any resemblance. Vittoria looked like Nico yet Kassian was like an oddball out. He took after his father in facial features. Something that creeped me out in some sense. I guess after not getting a decent welcome on his behalf, and the strange looks he seemed to always give both me, Ada and Natalia, it made me judge his character a little much.

"I've noticed you like it in here," he said as he looked at the greenery around us. I nodded, twisting a silver ring I had on my index finger.

"It's peaceful. I guess it's like an escape," he smiled. "How are the wedding preparations?"

"Nothing much that either Ada or I can do about," he explained. "My father's puppets are the ones creating all of the decorations and all of the themes for the celebration. It's a show essentially," I frowned as I turned my head towards him. "There'll be over two hundred guests here. Of which I know as many as I have fingers."

"Get married a day or two before," I suggested, causing Kassian to look towards me with interest.

"What?"

"If you don't feel comfortable sharing this intimate moment with so many people who you don't know, find a spot and secretly get married. I'll be there as a witness," his head cocked slightly to the side. "And you can have your brother there from your side. That way, we have a better chance of keeping this away from your father," he smiled.

"Where were you all these weeks?" I chuckled.

"Here and there," I said, knowing it was actually the case. "Besides, I'm sure it'll make Ada very happy, so I'm all here for that," he smiled as he looked away, lost in some thought.

"I know there's something going on between the two of you," he blurted out, making my heart beat a little too fast.

"What-"

"You don't need to lie to me, Brielle. I actually happen to like you," I was at a loss for words. "Nicolas became very different after you walked into the picture," Kassian said, averting his eyes away from the window. "In the best way possible, may I add," I hoped he hadn't realised how nice that felt to hear.