Chapter twenty-nine

The entire estate was starting to be more and more crowded with the number of people hustling about the entire premises

The entire estate was starting to be more and more crowded with the number of people hustling about the entire premises. With the wedding coming closer each day, I could sense the nervousness on Ada. She was usually very reserved and upbeat yet as her big day approached, she began to feel more and more anxious.

I took my phone off the coffee table in the lounge before leaving the room and headed towards the kitchen to get a small snack. It was already past five in the afternoon and the lunch the girls and I went out for was subsiding and thus the desire for something in my stomach became stronger with every minute.

Once I entered the room, one of the maids was cleaning the countertops. She smiled at me before I walked up to the bar and picked up a small plate from the side and began to fill it up with small snacks such as sandwiches and one-bite caviar snacks. They had been prepared earlier today and the selection of them had lessened due to the many people here.

My phone buzzed in the pocket of my pants just as I put a small sandwich on my white plate. I put the plate down and took it out of my pocket. I frowned at the sight of a message from an unknown contact.

Unknown: It's getting boring here without you...

I thought for a second it was Colson since he had my phone number but I also knew his. Nicolas, on the other hand, didn't have mine. Or used to not have it.

Unknown: I'm going to assume you know who I am.

Brielle: Arthur?

Unknown: Who? No.

Brielle: Oh, Malcolm. It's been a while.

Unknown: Ok, this is not funny.

Brielle: Oh, it's the grumpy one.

Brielle: Hey, Nicolas.

I quickly changed the contact's name to his and grabbed my plate before heading towards the door to the porch. I struggled to open it with both hands well occupied but did in the end and made my way to the firepit area.

Brielle: How did you get my number?

Nicolas: I can have any phone number I want within a few minutes, fiore.

Brielle: Would you like to talk over a call? I know that texting might get tedious.

Nicolas: I'm in a meeting.

Nicolas: And I think it's risky. Someone might hear you

Brielle: Then I'll call you a different name.

Nicolas: No. You will not.

Brielle: How about Nicolai? It's similar.

Nicolas: No.

Brielle: Then what about Noah?

Nicolas: Brielle, please.

Brielle: Wow, the second time I heard that word come from you. You are on a roll.