Prologue

Two years ago

Two years ago

How come every time I come to a club with hopes of letting my eyes wander around for some attractive males, I get disappointed? I never really understood that before I actually went to the club drunk and barely kept myself on my feet. Obviously, I had no intentions of talking to any dude and instead, hoped to dance the night away with Olessia.

She's been my long-time friend and my second sister ever since the tragic accident that killed my parents almost seven years ago. Her parents took my sister and me in after the tragedy and have been there for both of us after our loss.

Olessia was the one I could count on to have a good time. I couldn't just sit there and say that my sister was no fun, but she was a few years older than me and instead of being in college like I was, meaning I was still the careless and carefree young adult most people are before suddenly becoming mature, was already working for the most prestigious law firm in the States.

My best friend's hand wrapped around my arm as she dragged me towards one of the small booths, which were the only spots with some decent lighting, and forced me to sit down.

"Hey," I muttered as I pulled my tight-fitting, red dress down as it had rolled up slightly too much. "I'm not some-" A hiccup escaped my mouth. "I'm-" Another one.

"Alright, pumpkin pie," she said and sat down across from me. She opened her small clutch purse and took out her phone. The light from the screen lit up her face as she scrolled for whatever she needed.

I took the time to straighten up and look around from my seated position. I couldn't register too many things due to the slightly dizzy mind I had from the alcohol, but it was enough to know the people were crowding the entire dance floor as music blasted from a DJ booth on the stage. I liked the many lights twirling around but the various colours and shapes made my head spin ever so slightly.

"Are you okay?" Olessia asked, bringing my attention back to her. I managed to nod but I could tell it wasn't convincing enough. "I look away from you for two seconds and I find you with an empty bottle of vodka?" Her words made me giggle before I collapsed onto the couch and frowned as I scrunched my nose from the smell. It wasn't just the fog from the room but it was the couch itself.

"W-What kind of place is this?" I pushed myself away from the couch and sat back up. It almost felt like someone dumped alcohol all over the poor couch whose colour I couldn't make out completely. It was dark but I couldn't tell the difference between black and the darker shades of most colours in this drunken state when everything was coming close to being a blur.

"I thought I asked you if you wanted to leave," Olessia said and I nodded, pulling the top of my dress, so my breasts didn't fall out entirely.

Okay, maybe I went a little overboard with the dress but I felt hot in it. It's all I needed to feel something tonight. Maybe even enough to attract some attention.