Chapter thirty-six

I sat and watched the rain pouring on the outside

I sat and watched the rain pouring on the outside. It had been four days since the wedding and Nate, his mother, sister and Amelia were about to leave. The funeral took place yesterday and I was present only during the early morning when no one but me was there. Ada and Kassian were both cremated after being wounded and both were left to rest in piece in the cemetery among the biggest names in Italy's history.

We decided to leave Ada here only because she would've wanted to be alongside Kassian and it seemed wrong to take her to a whole other continent away from the love of her life.

I barely slept since I found out and while I had Nicolas to comfort me, he left a few days ago for some business. I hoped he'd come back today so I could say goodbye and touch him once more before I left.

Still, I had no idea what would happen between the two of us but after the loss I had to endure, I needed a break from this house and this entire bubble of people. I didn't blame anyone but the two people who had supposedly shot her but this house was proven to be a hell home.

I watched the drops of rain slide down the window, tears mimicking the motion and rolling down my cheeks. I thought I had cried everything I had left but I guess I was wrong.

A knock disturbed my thoughts and made me get up and head towards it. Thinking it was Nate or Olessia, I opened the door but froze in place at the sight of Eduardo right in front of me. I quickly wiped the tears away and forced a smile.

"Eduardo, is there something I can help you with?" He looked at me for a moment longer before answering.

"My deepest condolences, Brielle. I haven't had a chance to talk to you since everything went down," I nodded.

"Thank you. And I'm sorry for your son. I'm still not over the fact that they're both gone," I wiped a tear away.

"May I come in?" He asked which I found weird but thought nothing of it. I let him inside and closed the door. He walked over to the window and slid his hands into the pocket of his pants. "I've heard that you're leaving today," I nodded.

"All of us are leaving. The festivities are over and ended in the worst possible way but we don't have anything else keeping us here," he chuckled, turning back to face him. I didn't like his reaction.

"You don't?" I frowned. What the hell was he going on about?

"I don't think I understand," he smiled as he looked down at the floor, lost in some thought, before looking back up at me.

"You are in love with my son," a shiver went down my spine.

"What-"

"Don't act stupid. I saw how he jumped to shield you from the bullets and how he kissed you." I swallowed hard. Nicolas didn't tell me his father knew about us. Although I wondered if he had seen us during the wedding even if my memory of the time was very vague.