Chapter fourteen

I couldn't take my eyes off her

I mentally slapped myself for it but I couldn't fucking bring myself to look away. I could barely see her clearly due to the distance yet just knowing she was there and watching me was enough to rattle my attention.

"I was hoping to see Giovani before the wedding but I'm-" Nate stopped talking for a moment. I was so focused on the girl in the library window that I didn't realise Nathanial was still talking to me. "Let me guess, you're so indulged in watching her that you can't even hear me speak?" I looked at him, finally breaking my stare from Brielle.

"Sorry, what were you saying?" He sighed before leaning back on the couch.

"You're going to get in trouble. If not with your father, then with someone else." I tried my hardest not to react to his words. I knew well enough I was playing with fire when it came to her. Yet somehow, I felt as though I couldn't live without the constant flames. "You're going to hurt her," Nate said.

"I'm not into her. You need to mind your own damn business and leave me alone," I said before inhaling my cigarette.

"You need to get your eyes checked, dumbass. If you really think that no one can tell you're into her, hell hopes no one actually suspects anything more past that, then you're the dumbest man on this planet," he explained and took a sip of his whiskey. I looked at the flickering flame in front of us, admiring the beautiful colours and savouring the warmth. "As someone who is as close to her as a brother, I don't want you drooling over her. Stay the hell away from her," he warned me, making me smile. I looked at him as I inhaled more smoke.

"You forbid me from lusting over your sister?" He rolled his eyes.

"I can't believe you're so stupid. I'm doing this to help you. You have enough on your plate as it is and trust me, she wouldn't be a good addition to the mix," I chuckled, looking back at the fire.

If he only knew how much the girl saved me without even knowing it herself.

"And if, by some chance, it's already too late to save you from the feelings, then just remember what happens the moment you let a weakness into this world." My body stilled as I took in what Nate had said. "I'm not trying to say that you'll get hurt. I'm trying to say that you'll hurt her." I glanced in the direction of the window where Brielle previously stood by. "That is what will not hurt you but break you indefinitely," she was no longer there, making my heart hurt very slightly. I frowned from the feeling of longing deep within myself. "I know better than anyone that you have a heart somewhere deeper, Nicolas. And I'd hate to see the one thing that deserves the world inside you, get ruined," Nathaniel stood up before walking back into the estate, leaving me completely alone. I inhaled the last bit of smoke from my cigarette and threw the remaining bit into the sizzling fire.

I stood up and headed towards the house. Once in the small lounge on the side of the foyer, I took out my phone from the pocket of my pants. I looked through my contacts until I found Mattia's name. I put the phone to my ear before I slowed to a stop once I saw Brielle by the stairs. She seemed to be just as surprised to see me as she stilled and stood there, looking at me and thinking of what she should do moving forward.