Chapter 4: Wren

WREN

Wren glanced over Sky's shoulder as they flew in the air - smaller mountains remained below them. I'm so glad we don't have to walk through that mountain range, She thought to herself. That'd take way too long, honestly. And I don't think Ivy or Leaf would enjoy that...

She glanced over her shoulder, turning to Ivy and Leaf. "How are you both holding up so far?"

Leaf was just barely clinging onto Sky's back, trembling a bit. Ivy, on the other hand, seemed perfectly content - hell, Wren could swear she seemed more excited if anything.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to this," He mumbled, clutching his stomach.

Ivy raised a brow at him, chuckling. "You alright, Leaf?"

He gave her a small smile. "Could be feeling better." He attempted to subtly inch closer to Ivy, which Wren wanted to guess was out of wariness. "How are you enjoying this?"

Ivy shrugged, still laughing. "Don't know, but it's awesome! I don't get how you don't like it." She glanced back at Wren, tilting her head a bit. "So you and Sky get to do this every day?"

Wren grinned. "More or less."

"Wow..." Ivy breathed, her eyes wide. "This is all so amazing."

Someone's lived her whole life under a rock, Wren commented to herself, quickly wanting to smack herself for thinking that. That wasn't exactly wrong - all of Valor was located underground, wasn't it? No wonder Ivy was so excited about everything. Glad I didn't let that one slip out...

Leaf lightly nudged her shoulder. "You say that about everything these days."

"I know, but it's true! This even better than the first time I got to go outside!" She looked over Sky's shoulder, her hair whipping her face. "I'm so glad I left Valor. Everything out here is beautiful."

"Well, almost everything," Leaf coughed to himself - Wren wanted to rebuke him for bringing Ivy's mood down, but she didn't seem to be paying attention to either of them anymore. So instead she settled for a simple glare.

She gently rubbed her hand against Sky's neck, craning her neck a little to catch his eye. "Sky, how are you doing? Do you need to take a break?"

Sky smiled at her. "Well, I think I'm doing pretty alright, considering there's three of you on my back right now. But could we take a small break?"

"We can do that." Wren gave him a curt nod, then turning to Ivy and Leaf. "We're going to land in a bit!"

Leaf let out a breath of relief. "Thank the moons." Ivy rolled her eyes at him in response.

...

Once they found a relatively smaller clearing, Sky had landed, though making sure to be mindful of Leaf and Ivy. Wren hopped off once given the opportunity, Leaf doing the same, albeit struggling a bit to do so. He glanced back at Ivy, who was slowly getting down.

"Ivy, I can help you down if you want."

She shook her head. "No thanks, I think I can get down by myself." As she slid off of Sky's back, she found herself accidentally tripping over her own foot - which ended up landing her on top of Wren, the both of them falling over in the process.

Wren let out a small yelp. "I-Ivy!"

Ivy drew back, her cheeks flushed. "Sorry Wren!" She got to her feet, brushing off her tunic. She gave Wren an awkward smile. "Didn't mean to fall on you, I swear."