Chapter 19: Brook

BROOK

It had been a couple of days since the patrol had returned from the ruins. Brook had managed to get most of the formerly banished settled into their homes, or at least their homes for the time being. Well, with Lark's help... Brook wasn't exactly pleased with the fact that she ended up needing Lark's help after all, but she was grateful that it was another opportunity to spend more time with Lark.

She was sitting at her desk, resting her head against her palm while rubbing the crust out of her other eye. Across from her was Lark, who was busy sketching out plans for the construction of a few new caves. It was one of the projects that Brook and Lark had been discussing in greater detail as of late, and was one that Brook was perfectly happy to let Lark take the lead on. I don't really do too well with the planning part. I'd rather just help construct the tunnels and caves...

Lark hummed softly, chewing lightly on the tip of her quill. "Maybe...like this? But...actually, that might be worse."

"Hmm?"

"Oh, it's nothing," Lark responded nonchalantly. "Just thinking out loud."

Does she want help, or...? "Well, alright then. How much longer until the sketch will be done?"

Lark shrugged. "Hopefully by the end of this week. You know how picky I am with these."

Chuckling, Brook leaned back in her chair, stretching. "Yeah. But that's what makes them so precise, right? Take all the time you need, a detailed sketch that's somewhat late is better than a rushed one."

She let out an amused snort. "I wouldn't say they're that precise, but...I'm glad you think so."

Brook huffed. "It's not me thinking they're precise, it's because they are." She took her own quill, tapping it gently against the desk. "Either way, I'm not going to worry about it too much if that's the case."

Lark opened her mouth to argue, but was quickly cut off by a knock on the door. Brook almost shot out of her seat. I don't have any meetings today, and it's already afternoon...who is it and what do they want? Lark seemed to have a similar reaction, perking up. She swept some of her hair to the side, leaving a small streak on her forehead. Well, at least she's less stressed about this project than some of the others...

"Who's that?" Lark spoke up first.

Brook glanced back at her, frowning. "I have no idea. I didn't have any meetings scheduled today, unless you want to count our daily sessions together as meetings."

She scoffed, rolling her eyes. "We don't even schedule those, though."

"Exactly, that's my point," Brook responded. She got up, albeit warily. "This is just odd, but I'll check anyways."

Lark didn't say anything, but Brook could tell by the grimace on her face that nothing needed to be said. She quickly looked away, burying herself back into her blueprints. Brook held back a sigh and turned her attention back to the door. Thank you for the reassurance, Lark... Hesitantly, Brook began to open the door, her palms already beginning to sweat.

"Who is it and what do you want?" she immediately asked, ignoring how much her voice was trembling. Moons, I hope it's not one of the Wingwatchers...I am not about to be made fun of for the rest of my life.

There wasn't an immediate answer, but instead, lots of muttering and shuffling footsteps. Before Brook could repeat herself, the door opened partially, revealing Forest.

His expression was one of bewilderment and annoyance. "Mom, some messenger came to see you. He said he's from the Indestructible City, I think?"

The Indestructible City? What do they want with us? All Brook really knew was that Heath was incredibly paranoid about them after a few messengers had come for him, and claimed that the lord had sent an assassin after him. That was all she cared to remember, if only for the fact that he claimed she was involved with them. Besides, the legendary Dragonslayer is nothing now. What does the lord even want from me...?