Chapter 23: Brook

BROOK

F-Forest. He's...

"W-wait, maybe he's just somewhere you haven't checked yet?" Daffodil asked, taking a quick glance at Brook. Yes, maybe Moth just hasn't found him yet.

Or maybe I'm just getting my hopes up only to crush them.

Moth frowned at her. "Maybe, but...I've been looking for him for a while now." He bit his lip nervously. "I could ask anyone at the dance if they've seen him, if that helps?"

That's right, Forest was at the dance, wasn't he? So someone probably saw him and might know where he is...

Brook realised with a jolt that he was talking to her. "Y-yes. That would be great, Moth."

"Alright, ma'am." Moth bounded off in the opposite direction.

Forcing herself to take in a deep breath, Brook could feel her body shaking. Don't panic, don't panic, don't- Brook ignored the tears beginning to form in her eyes and turned to Violet and Daffodil. They both looked equally worried now, with Daffodil trembling slightly while Violet couldn't keep her gaze set on anything for too long. Brook couldn't help but feel bad that they were dragged into this. They're kids. They shouldn't have to get involved in these sorts of problems.

"Do either of you happen to know which specific tunnel you saw them at?" she asked them, grabbing their attention.

Violet frowned. "I think so? They looked like they were headed towards the exit closest to the ruins...do you think they're headed somewhere specific?"

Her gaze widening, Daffodil nodded. "Or they could be headed to see someone specific!"

"Maybe," Violet mumbled underneath her breath. "But why would Forest-" She was immediately cut off by Daffodil elbowing her, angrily gesturing towards Brook. "I-I mean, why would anyone go towards the ruins? Especially at this time."

Brook almost let out a sigh. I know they're just trying to help. Even if she felt it was being executed in the worst way possible, at least it wasn't coming from a place of malice. She scanned the cavern one last time for anyone else - it was barren, besides her, Violet, and Daffodil. That couldn't have been Forest though, right? He wouldn't have been able to leave without someone else...

Even during the dead of night, there were still at least two Wingwatchers at the exits - or just the major ones at most risk, depending on how many Wingwatchers were available. And even if something like the dance is going on, there are still enough to guard entrances. Hell, most who do the night shifts don't care that much for those things... Hopefully Moth just hadn't found Forest yet, and that Daffodil and Violet were just overreacting.

Except they probably aren't, her mind whispered. And Forest's genuinely missing, because you really can't take care of him after all.

She despised it whenever that thought or thoughts of a similar nature popped into her head - the fact that all of these thoughts were now beginning to prove themselves true. I should've gone to the dance with Forest just to make sure he was alright. Or talk with him prior to the dance...and maybe then he wouldn't have ran off.

...That was if Forest even ran off in the first place.

Oh, shut up, you stupid brain. I need to focus on finding my son! She shook the thoughts aside (albeit barely - they were still lingering in the forefront of her mind). Glancing back at Daffodil and Violet, Brook had to steal her nerves.