Chapter 29: Undauntable

UNDAUNTABLE

As Snakeroot held the castle door open for him, Undauntable dug his arms deeper into his robe. I can't believe it, he thought bitterly. I thought I saw her, but she wasn't there... Earlier that morning, Undauntable had been watching out one of the castle windows, looking to spot Wren - though he honestly doubted it, and was beginning to hope she didn't. He was certain he saw her, so he set out with his bodyguard to go check. Only for them to get caught up in something stupid in the process, and then to find out Wren was just...gone. Or she just hadn't shown up, which was more likely. It's probably for the better if she doesn't, anyways.

It wasn't that he didn't want to see Wren - far from it, in fact! In the past years, she had been one of the few people willing to give him the time of day, and unlike most of the others, she was actually interesting. It was the main thing he looked forwards to, even if she managed to tick him off every time she visited. If what Boar said to Father was true, then... He didn't want to imagine what his father might do to her. During the few briefings his father let Undauntable sit through, he'd heard enough about his plans regarding the Dragonslayer. How he'd convince the Dragonslayer to come, what measures he would take in order to bring him to the city, how he'd go through with fighting back against the dragons once he did that, and more. It was the memories of those briefings that worried Undauntable - would his father be willing to go to extremes just to have Wren working for him? Why am I even asking that? He would.

Once the door behind him shut, Snakeroot caught up to his side. "Well, it's better to check than not at all, right?" she asked, likely in an attempt to start some small-talk. She was one of the few soldiers in the city that bothered to try - he guessed it was partially because she was essentially his personal bodyguard at that point, but also because it was probably easier to relieve the awkward tension.

Undauntable shrugged. "Maybe, but it still wasted my time!" He stopped her in her path briefly, glancing over at one of the hallways. Further down he could spot the kitchen - not that he needed to, anyways. He knew the castle like the back of his palm. "I'm hungry."

Holding back a sigh, Snakeroot nodded. "Of course, your highness."

I bet what she really wanted to say was "for the sake of the moons, Prince Undauntable, couldn't you have spoken up while we were in the market" but can't because she'd get in trouble for it. Honestly, as annoying as it was, Undauntable didn't mind that about her, either. It was a more tolerable conversation than one with his father, for starters. Doesn't make it any less annoying, though.

As they walked into the kitchen, the smell of fresh fruits hit his nose. Did we just get a new batch of fruit sent in? If they had, it must've been while he was out - not that it mattered much. Fruit's fruit. He scanned the countertops, trying to pick out which would be the easiest to take without getting noticed too easily. Not too many people were in the kitchen to begin with, but...he knew how some of the castle's cooks got when he took food without their permission. Hopefully it isn't too long before supper...

"Ah, Prince Undauntable. I didn't expect to see you back so soon." Undauntable jumped at the sound of the voice - he whirled around to see Duckweed, one of the cooks of the castle. He had an uninterested expression on his face, like most of the castle staff. It was usually like that when Undauntable seldom rarely talked with him, which stung a little, but Undauntable tried to pay it no mind. I shouldn't even care about what they think.

Undauntable gave him a curt nod. "Just getting a snack."

Turning back to the cabinets, Duckweed gave him a sideways glance. "Hmm. Just don't touch any of the vegetables, alright?"