Chapter 11: Wren

WREN

Crap crap crap crap-

Wren's gaze remained on the streets of the city as she continued cursing underneath her breath. Ivy had tried to keep both herself and Wren calm, but anyone could see that it wasn't working. Sky stared in the same direction as her, worried.

Leaf was gone. Wren was pretty sure he had fallen off Sky's back while they headed into the more crowded part of the town, but it remained that he was likely lost. If not dead, She added grimly.

Sky tapped his talons together nervously. "I think this is my fault," He mumbled. "I should've been more careful with him, especially since he was on my back."

Ivy shook her head, lightly patting his side. "Don't blame yourself, Sky. I probably shouldn't have suggested going here in the first place. Something was bound to happen and I should've known better..."

"It's no one's fault!" Wren argued. "None of us could've predicted it would happen. Instead of blaming ourselves, we need to find him before he gets himself killed!" I'm such a hypocrite for that, She thought. I could've told Ivy no and she would've accepted that as an answer, I'm sure.

Ivy sighed in defeat. "Okay then. Where should we start looking?"

For a moment, they all remained quiet. Maybe nearby that bridge? Then again, I think we would've heard something if he fell into the water... Wren let out a quiet groan, her head starting to hurt. Ivy gently rested her hand on Wren's shoulder, which almost caused Wren to yelp in surprise. She had an expression of concern on her face, though it was also wracked with worry for Leaf. Why is she so concerned for me right now? Is it that obvious that I'm in a mood?

She frowned. "Don't stress yourself out, either. It won't do you or anyone any good."

Wren wanted to make a retort, but instead settled for a sharp inhale. She's right, but...it also won't do us any good to remain completely unrelaxed about this. And seems practically impossible.

"Any ideas?" She asked after taking one last deep breath.

Sky pointed over in the area near the side of the town they had come in; before the bridge were several streets that sprawled into smaller pathways, the main one leading into the other side of town. A few stalls had been set up close by - would one of the dragons there have seen a small human fall off a pale coloured mountain dragon's back? And...have possibly eaten him? She hated the idea, but it wasn't implausible.

"We could try looking over there - I think that might be where he fell off, anyways," Sky explained.

Wren shrugged. "Better idea than mine, I'm sure. Ivy?"

Ivy stared at Wren, taken out of her brief daze. "...yeah?" Before Wren could repeat herself, Ivy blinked in sudden realisation. "Oh, yes! That sounds like a good plan, Sky!"

Just how much are you even paying attention to this? Wren wanted to ask out loud, but quickly decided it was for the best that she said nothing about Ivy's behaviour. She instead began to climb onto Sky's back, gesturing for Ivy to hop on. Ivy struggled for a while, but eventually managed to get on with both Wren and Sky's help. She's getting better, at the very least...

As Sky made his way through the significantly smaller crowd, Wren managed to tear her gaze away from Ivy. Her questions were pretty odd...but also kind of interesting, She thought, craning her neck to see if she could spot Leaf anywhere. I've never thought about it much, I guess.

Wren could feel Ivy unconsciously leaning onto her - Ivy herself didn't seem to notice. Is she just doing that for comfort? ...does she really trust me that much? She didn't say anything to Ivy about it, and felt perfectly content with avoiding the topic. Besides...I really don't want to worry her even more.