Chapter 20: Ivy

IVY

Ivy could barely contain her excitement. Well, that was often nowadays, but it was definitely true now. Her hair whipped around her face as she felt the wind brushing against her skin. She tightened her grip on Sky's back spikes, leaning into it slightly. She had grown used to doing this after a couple of practice rides with Sky, though she didn't particularly think much about holding onto them in the moment. Next to her was Leaf, who was also clinging onto it. Is he okay?

"Leaf, are you doing alright?" she asked, being careful as to not bump into him much if at all. Even if he was still going refuse to admit being afraid of anything, Ivy could tell at a glance that he was clearly uncomfortable.

His only response was a shudder, his eyes still shut. Ivy frowned, leaning towards him a bit to gently pat his shoulder. He cringed back for a moment, but relaxed a little once he seemed to realise it was just Ivy. She held in a sigh, scratching his shoulder lightly. I wish we could figure out something to help him with this.

She smiled a little, even though she knew he wouldn't see it. "Don't worry, Leaf. I'll let you know when we reach the ruins."

He quietly scoffed. "You don't need to do that," he muttered. "But thanks, I guess."

Ivy held back a small snort of laughter. "Aw, you're welcome." She glanced around for a bit, tightening her grip on the spike. She could spot parts of the ruined village from where they were, as well as the temple where they had stayed in during the Wingwatcher arrests. Even in the evening light, Ivy could still make out the charred buildings and scorched land. How many people died in the attack...? She couldn't stop herself from wondering. How many people died here since Dad banished them? Forcing herself to look away, Ivy had to take a deep breath. Don't look at it. Don't.

"D-did something happen?" Leaf asked.

"Huh? Oh." Ivy wasn't sure how to respond. And I don't think he wants to hear about my stupid problems, anyways. "I think we're landing soon."

Leaf clutched onto the spike harder. "Okay."

He didn't speak much for the rest of the flight. Ivy didn't really feel like sticking around anyone at that moment, but she didn't want to leave Leaf on his lonesome. I think I'd just feel worse if I did that, she thought. It didn't help that she felt bad about enjoying the flight while Leaf was clearly miserable, either.

In front of them was Wren, who was chatting with Sky for most of the flight. Ivy really wanted to talk with Wren on the way to the ruins, but she guessed Wren would probably want to talk with Sky more. I get it, honestly...it's not like I haven't had days where I'd rather spend time with Daffodil over Violet, or Violet over Daffodil... She glanced back at Leaf. And I don't mind spending more time with Leaf, but it's kind of hard to do that when he's currently fearing for his life.

Once they landed, Ivy got off of Sky's back immediately after Wren, turning around to wait for Leaf. She was standing next to Wren, who just had an eyebrow raised at him.

"Did you tell him we were landing, or...?" she muttered, leaning in further so only Ivy could hear.

Ivy nodded awkwardly. "Yeah, why do you ask?"

Wren didn't answer, instead climbed back up Sky's back, taking him by surprise. She crawled over to where Leaf was sitting, a furrowed expression on her face. Ivy could barely make out what was going on, but she could've sworn she saw Wren yanking on his shoulder sleeve. Before long, Leaf had opened his eyes, now carefully following Wren down Sky's back. Ivy grimaced at him once he was fully on the ground.