𝐈 | Blue Monday

— — —

      Willow Marsden had been deaf
since she could remember. Well, who remembers anything before the age of six? The only reason her memory really started from when she was six was because she was adopted. She'd spent three years in and out of foster homes, but none had kept her long enough because they couldn't handle a deaf child. Most children who can't stay in one home have behavioural problems, but Willow couldn't help being deaf. She was sent to a group home when she was five, where she was found by the Marsden family.

Eugene and Chris were her saviours. They were the only gay couple that came to the group home's open evening, and they fell in love with Willow. Eugene had had a deaf grandfather, who had only been deaf since his time in the war. So, he knew a little sign language. Willow didn't know any sign language back then, she only knew how to read and write. Her foster home had also taught her how to speak, even though she wasn't very good at it. She never used to be completely deaf, only at a disadvantage. It was only when she became a teen she lost most of her hearing.

By the time Willow was six, the Marsdens had adopted her, and she was now Willow Marsden. They lived in Queens, in an apartment just by the town square. Eugene, or 'Dad', started to teach her sign language and put her into classes. Chris- 'Papa'- just loved having a little girl, even if she did run around in a Batman costume instead of a tutu.

Willow's parents were respected people in their field of work. Eugene was the head Police Chief... and Chris owned his own hair salon. People would always make jokes about how Eugene didn't really seem gay, and Chris was extravagantly gay. It never bothered Willow; she just cared to have a family.

Teenage years rocked around pretty quickly, and Willow had to decide where she wanted to go to school. Not many public schools were good for disadvantaged children, especially not deaf children. But Willow was smart, her dads not knowing where she got it from. When she was thirteen, Willow applied for Midtown School of Science. She took her entry exam and passed with flying colours. She enrolled the next month.

Only a year later, Willow's dads told her that they were going to be having a baby, through surrogacy. She was over the moon. She helped set up a nursery, look for surrogacy mothers, and smithed about baby names with Chris. Soon, they found Margery, who had applied to be their baby carrier.

Willow was now beginning her junior year of school. And with a baby due in two months, this is where our story starts.

— — —

"Willow, sweetie! School isn't gonna wait for you!" Chris called out. He tutted, rolled his eyes, and moved away from the fridge. He walked passed his husband and across the room. "I forget we have a deaf daughter."