𝐈𝐈𝐈 | Publicity

— — —

  Eugene Marsden stood in the centre
of a group of policemen. Hundreds of reporters swarmed him, flashing lights and holding microphones at him. He held up his hands to silence the crowd.

"I'm sure everyone is curious as to who this new masked personae is, but may I assure you that they are a criminal," Eugene said. He looked around sternly at each and every camera. "This crime fighting webslinger is nothing but a hipster and we will find who this person is."

"Officer Marsden! Isn't his Hero helping us, now there is a rise in crime?" A reporter asked, almost falling over the crowd to hold the microphone as close to Eugene as he could.

"He is not a hero. The police department have everything under control, and have the correct training to stop crime," Eugene explained with an annoyed smile. He needed so desperately to check his watch, and make sure he was home on time, but his public figure was very important.

"Officer! What do you have to say on the Ferry incident?" Another reporter called out.

"The Ferry in currently in renovation and everyone on it returned home safely. The man known as 'Spider-Man' was entirely responsible for it, and we are ready to press charges once we arrest him," he said firmly.

"If Spider-Man is such a threat then do you fear for our children?" A reporter asked. "For your own children?"

Something twitched in Eugene's eye. The question itself was so detesting that it mocked the love he felt for his daughter and unborn baby. He feared for his family everyday, now that everyone expected him to trust a complete stranger with the safety of the city he was supposed to look after, let alone his daughter. If Spider-Man were to fail to save someone, especially Willow, Eugene would only feel responsible.

"No more questions," he said with a stiff face. He turned around and walked back into the Police station, bodyguards all around to block the reporters. Their cameras flashed once again, missing the blue and red figure swing across the sky.

— — —

Peter landed heavily on his feet, letting go of his web. He walked a few paces to regain his footing before tugging his masked off. With a smile, he sighed contently. After another day of crime fighting- even if it was just petty crime- Peter felt accomplished with his day. He felt a buzz from his pocket.

Willow sent a chat to Free therapy
~ Did you guys wa....

He'd open it when he got home. Peter dug his phone back into his pocket and held his mask the right way around. He dug his head into it and adjusted it until it fit properly. After running a few feet, Peter shot a web and swung away.