𝐗𝐗𝐕 | Café Snow

— — —

Frost painted the cafe windows like stained glass in a church. It spiralled around in frost bites. Snow was yet to fall in New York November, but the cold spun spiderweb clouds on the glass. Willow lifted her finger and drew a heart.

She turned to Elliot, who held Scout in his lap, and smiled. It was wide enough, remembering last weeks events.

For seven days, Willow had done her best to avoid Peter as much as possible. But with the amount of lessons they shared together, it was a struggle. So Willow stayed with Elliot and his friends. Daphne basically adopted her. She felt that she couldn't talk to Ned; she didn't want him to pick sides.

"What's that Scout? Is it a heart?" Willow asked, using her hands to sign 'heart'. Her dads were letting her teach Scout a few words, just until she could speak herself, and then she'd learn more. All Scout did was smile. She found it oddly amusing.

"I'm not sure she understands," Elliot laughed, seeing Scout look blankly at her sister.

"No she does! She can say hello, can't you?" Willow cooed, waving her hands enthusiastically. Scout looked around for a moment then up at Elliot who smiled back. She finally turned to Willow and lifted her hands, grasping her little fingers in and out. "Good job!"

Scout cried out with laughter and bounced her legs over Elliot's knee. He steadied her with care.

"Willow," Elliot started, leaning forward to take a sip of his coffee. Willow held hers- a hot chocolate. "How... how are you feeling? Y'know... since."

She looked down at her drink, a sad smile down to her lips. "Better," she said sweetly. "I think after a few days, I realised that... there are so many more important things."

"So you're okay now?" Elliot asked, steadying Scout on his lap. She paused.

"I didn't say that," she almost whispered with her head down. "What he said just keeps playing in my head."

"Well he was wrong Willow. Everything he said was a lie, and he doesn't deserve you," Elliot poured, reaching over and taking Willow's hand.

What they didn't notice, not yet anyway, was the cafe door open with a ring of the bell. Two friends strolled in after completely missing seeing Willow and Elliot through the window. It was Peter and Ned. It was Ned's way of trying to get Peter out the house every since... well, you know.

But Peter froze like the frosty glass at the sight of Elliot's hand over Willow's. First he was shocked to even see her, but his heart stopped when he saw their locked hands. They looked so familiar, like they were his own. And he was surprised to see willow out, because a part of him thought he was worth the heartbreak. Seeing her out like this, with another boy, she was over him. Of course, this wasn't true.