𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈 | First Thing, Monday Morning

— — —

The day came.

Peter procrastinate not going into school, maybe even for the whole week. But even if he didn't, Officer Marsden would arrest him and he'd lose Spider-Man and Willow. So he had to break her heart. He'd rather that than her find out he'd been lying to her. He couldn't tell what would make Willow hate him the most.

When he'd woken up in the morning, he'd laid in bed passed his alarm, and contemplated throwing it out the window. Once he'd finally gotten up, a knock had come from the door. Outside it he heard Willow's angelic voice. He'd ignored her the whole weekend, partly to hint at the break up, and mostly because he felt too sick to.

Sick to his stomach.

Willow left, figuring he'd already gone to school. She'd called him three times, then texted saying she met Ned on the way there. Another thing to mention, Ned had no idea of this evil scheme.

And so, I set the scene. In the school halls.

First thing. Monday Morning.

— — —

Peter looked over his shoulder the whole way to school and through the day. It was only 10:15. Peter managed to get through home room and a lesson without running into Ned or Willow. Now, it was break.

He stood at his locker, his head ducked down and hiding in his books. For the first time all day, he'd forgotten about his recently assigned job. That was until Willow walked up to him.

"Hey Peter! You alright?" Willow asked, after seeing Peter almost jump ten feet.

"Yeah I'm fine," he said bluntly, continuing to dig through his locker.

"It's just that... you didn't answer my calls or messages, or speak to me or anything. I don't know- I'm not trying to be the possessive type b-"

"Then stop," Peter said, as sourly as he could. He couldn't bare to look at her.

"Pardon?" Willow asked, not being able to see what he'd said. He shook his head and looked down. Again, for his own dignity, he was silent. "Have I done something wrong?"

Peter thought for a moment. "No."

"Then what's wrong? Has something happened?" Willow asked, trying to step closer to her time watch boyfriend, who was slowly ticking away. She placed a hand on his arm.

Peter moved away, for the first time turning to face her. "Can you please just give me space? I know I'm your first boyfriend but you can't keep me on a leash."

"Do you really feel like that?" Willow asked quietly.

No. "Yes." Never.

"The why didn't you tell me?" Willow asked. She felt empty and hallow, like ice itself was hugging her. It felt sorry. "Peter."

"Look, I don't want to talk right now," Peter said, closing his locker. He turned to leave.

"No, we need to talk or else I'm gonna feel bad the whole day not knowing what's got you worked up like this," Willow explained, chasing after him. They were causing quite the scene.

"You won't feel bad if I'm not your boyfriend anymore-" Peter rushed. He'd drafted his speech several times. He hated every one.

"What?" It fell silent. Even the students around them seemed to cease talk. It was just Peter and Willow, eye to eye. He hated himself more than he'd ever before. He hated what he was going to do, to say, to be. He hated Willow's dad, and the fact that he was right. The only thing he didn't hate was Willow.

God. He loved her.

"You're so clingy, Willow. You want to be around me all the time and it's painful." A lie. "I pity you, I do. I get that it's hard being deaf and adopted and everything else but-... I am not your guide dog."

Peter's eyes screamed and wailed, his heart pumped mercilessly against his chest, but his brain wouldn't stop. And Willow. She was surprised. Confused. Distraught. Heart, broken.

"Is that what you think of me? I'm too clingy?" Willow asked. The scariest part was that she was not angry, nor calm. Just silent. That was the worst reaction Peter could have asked for.

"I felt bad for you, okay? You started talking to me and I talked back. I didn't realise it would turn into this," Peter lied. Willow couldn't hear the pain in his voice. "You're always talking with your stupid sign language, and it's so high maintenance. I don't care if you're deaf, it doesn't make you special. And maybe I wanted a special girlfriend to make me feel good about myself, but I don't anymore. I'm not a charity worker."

"I thought-" Willow croaked, a tear escaping her grasp- she'd begged herself not to cry, not for him.

"No, Willow. You didn't think. Why would I ever like you?" Peter's mouth was dry and scratched with passages her didn't like. He fought devilishly to hold back his tears. "The deaf weirdo girl who needs people to guide her to every lesson. That's not gonna be me anymore."

Everyone was silent. Silence, was all Willow ever knew. But for the first time in her life, it hit her.
It hit her hard.

She turned and took three paces away from him. Then, she turned. "There are so many things I want to say to you, Peter. But I am the bigger person. I have pride for who I am and what I am."

Peter looked at the ground. He couldn't stand her talking to him like this. It wasn't her laugh, it wasn't her talking about her sister, or poetry, or swing kids, or Christmas. She wasn't smiling, he couldn't see her pink lips, her bright eyes, her dimples. He saw hate.
So he looked at the ground.

"I hate you, Peter."

He wanted her to slap him, push him, anything to show that he was worth it. That she was still holding onto him and angry enough to show it. But she walked away, leaving Peter behind. He wasn't slapped, or pushed, or anything.

He wasn't worth it.

{𝘖𝘶𝘤𝘩. 𝘐 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘢𝘯 𝘌𝘥𝘮𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘗𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺 𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘺. 𝘍𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘣𝘦 𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘴𝘰𝘰𝘯.}

{𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦 𝘷𝘰𝘵𝘦.}

- ꪀ. ᥊᥊