𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈 | Part of the Pavement

— — —

Peter, well Spider-Man, swung
through the city. His shift was over for the day, and if he was honest, they'd gotten shorter and shorter. Every since he broke up with Willow, Peter was in this constant mood of not wanting to do anything. He hated hanging out with Ned- there was always a spare seat. He hated Spider-Man because it was the reason he lost Willow. Anything and everything reminded him of her.

He swung down the street until he landed on his building block. Peter's feet hit the ground and he'd managed another day. It was dark outside, but he could still see a person sat on a wall. It wasn't quite the edge, so he wasn't panicked, but it was late.

And when Peter approached, he couldn't tell if he was happy or not to see Willow there.

"Excuse me ma'am," he gently put a hand on her shoulder to grab her attention, and lifted his mask above his lips. "Are you alright?"

"Uh- yes," she said, slightly confused. He was the last prism she thought she'd see. "Spider-Man, right?"

"Yeah, how'd you know?" They joked. He sat beside her, and hearing her laugh, he didn't feel so hateful.

"The spandex gave it away," she nodded.

"Well it charms the girls well. Is it working on you?" He asked, raising his arms in question.

"Don't flirt with me sir, I'll catch feelings," Willow joked. "I bet you don't remember me... you saved me."

He pretended not to know. "Mmm I save a lot of people."

"It was about a month ago, some guy was being weird," she described. "I kicked his ass."

"You did? I think you'll find it was me who did all the hard work," Peter protested. It felt natural to talk to Willow, and his heart ached so much for it that after weeks it finally relaxed.

"So you do remember," Willow leant forward and held his arm gently. She was smiling. He ached for that.

"How could I forget you," he said, a little too much like Peter. "The girl who kicked ass for me."

Willow looked at him with a smile, thoughts tickling her brows. She leant back and pulled her hands away from him. "How old are you?"

"Why?" He laughed.

"Because I can't fall in love with a superhero who's in his mid thirties," she proposed. And Peter remembered,: this wasn't a conversation between Willow and him, but Willow and Spider-Man.

"Well I'm not thirty. And fall in love? That's... that's big," Spider-Man looked around, admiring the city lights and bustling streets. "Do you love anyone?"

"Of course." And Peter's heart dropped. No way she could say Peter, and who else was there besides Elliot. She'd not left his side since her and Peter broke up. "My friend, Ned. I haven't talked to him in a while but, I do love him."

"But, love?" Peter asked.

"Yeah," she smiled. "Love doesn't have to be romantic. I'm in love with my baby sister, but not romantically. I'm in love with chocolate milk but not romantically. Well-"

They both laughed. Peter couldn't help but remember when Willow said she loved chocolate milk. He'd figured he'd get her some for Christmas closer to the time, but recently, it didn't look very likely to happen. "So you'd marry chocolate milk if you could?"

"Oh for sure. Especially those straws with the chocolate beads you put in milk," Willow said through laughs. After, it went quiet for a second while they both collected their thoughts.

"Can I ask what a pretty girl like you is doing on a Saturday night up here? Alone?" Peter asked. And it was him, not Spider-Man. He cared, and genuinely wanted to know.

She shrugged. "Thinking."

"Bout what?"

Willow sighed, and she didn't smile. "My friend asked me to prom."

This time Peter's heart really did shatter. When they broke up, he'd dropped the pieces on the floor and left them there, and now, she was walking over them like cigarette buds. Now, they were a part of the pavement.

"Congrats," was all he could muster.

"But I feel bad because... I'm in love with someone else," Willow looked to her lap. "Or at least I was."

A lump found it's way into Peter's throat, and a sensation pricked his eyes. "They break your heart?"

"Yeah," Willow said quietly, her head to the floor. "The boy who asked me to prom has been the best person to me and I do love them... but, not like that."

"You deserve to be happy," Peter said. Willow couldn't hear his voice crack and the tears start to take action in his throat. "You should make a fresh start with this new boy. But... I'm sure the other guy is really sorry."

Willow blinked and tears glossed over her eyes. She stifled a laugh. "I never thought I'd be getting relationship advice from a superhero."

"I never thought I'd be giving relationship advice," he joked. Willow smiled at him, but Peter wanted her to smile at Peter not Spider-Man.

"Thanks Spider-Man," Willow said. "My hero."

— — —

Peter trudged into his apartment. The keys hit the worktop and rattled. Aunt May stood up from where she was sat, moving to great her nephew. Peter walked with his eyes fixated with tears.

"Hey Pete, how was your patrol? I have leftovers in the fridge if...." She noticed his red face and glossy eyes. "Peter, what's wrong?"

"I messed up... I really messed up this time, May."

{𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘶𝘱! 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘐'𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘪𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘐 𝘯𝘦𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘢 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘴}

{𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦 𝘷𝘰𝘵𝘦.}

- ꪀ. ᥊᥊