𝐈𝐕 | Competitive Spirit

— — —

       Peter and Ned marched through
the school halls. It was only after second period but they were getting ready for third. In the next minutes, the bell would ring and they'd both go to Chemistry. Now, Peter and Ned were not usually excited for Chemistry class, but today they would be set an assignment to work in partners. And, of course, Ned and Peter had made a plan to get Peter to work with Willow. Step 1: ask Willow to be Peter's partner. Their plan seemed pitiful with only one step, but how hard could it be?

"How do we know that Willow would want to work with me?" Peter asked, stopping to lean on Ned's locker.

"Why wouldn't she? You're friends," Ned said as he pulled his bag strap further up his shoulder.

"Yeah, that's the problem," Peter sighed.

"Well, think of it this way. Willow is incredibly smart, mathematically that is, but she struggles in Chemistry and Physics," Ned said. Peter frowned, unable to catch onto what his friend was hinting.

"So?" Peter asked.

"So, you're top of the class in all of the sciences," Ned pointed out. "Why would she work with anyone but you?"

"Ahh," Peter dragged out as the clockwork in his brain finally ticked. "That's so smart."

"I try," Ned shrugged. He turned around and opened his locker before digging his hands into it. Peter daydreamed for a second before a name pricked his ears.

"Willow! Willow," Elliot called as he walked up to her. They were on the opposite side of the hall and Peter hadn't noticed them until he heard Elliot go to her. A sudden jealousy sat in the pit of his stomach.

"Hey Elliot," Willow smiled. Peter wondered if everyone else got that funny feeling when Willow smiled or if it was just him. "How are you?"

"Good thanks. You?" He asked, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"I'm doing okay, thank you," Willow smiled back. Peter had managed to completely block out Ned's voice so that he could hear Willow and Elliot

"I was just wondering when our next tutoring session was," Elliot said. "I know you're busy most of the time, so no pressure."

"I should be free Thursday night, if that's okay?" Willow asked, twisting her keys in her hands.

"Yeah, that okay," Elliot smiled. The keys slipped out of Willow's hands and landed on the floor. Both bent down to pick them up when their hands met. Elliot helped her back up, keeping Willow's hand in his for longer than need be.