𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈 | Dilemma

— — —

Willow ran around the the backstage dressing rooms, handing shirts to all the girls, then getting them handed back when she realised they were all the wrong sizes. The musical, Grease, was hard to get costumes for, as it was set in the late 50's. The boys were easy to dress; jeans, leather jackets, and white t-shirts. But the girls had to wear long skirts and puffy sleeves. Willow was glad she only worked backstage.

"Excuse me, Willow. Can you please take this to Elliot?" Mrs Dale asked, holding out a red shirt and a leather jacket. Willow took them gracefully. "If it doesn't fit I have other sizes."

"Of course," she smiled. She walked down the hall until she reached the boys' changing room. It was considerably smaller than the girls', but then again, there were twice as many girls as there was to boys. Willow knocked, waited a second, then entered.

"Oh hey Willow," Elliot said, folding a white shirt he'd just tried on. He smiled widely. "You okay?"

"Mrs Dale wants you to try this on," Willow handed him the red shirt. "I have other if it's doesn't fit."

"Okay, thank... could you turn around?" Elliot asked. Willow gasped then quickly turned.

"Yeah sorry, daydreaming," she laughed.

Elliot took of the shirt he was wearing and placed it on the chair. "Y'know I was thinking about this Winter's prom, cause it's only a week away. And I was wondering if you had a date?"

What Elliot forgot was that Willow was deaf and had her back turned to him. She couldn't hear him nor read his lips.

"If you do then just forget this," he continued, throwing the shirt over his head. "I don't know where this is going... I just, want to take you to prom... Willow?"

He tutted and smacked his forehead. Elliot stepped forward and gently touched her shoulders, letting her slowly turn around. She studied the shirt.

"How is it?" She asked.

Elliot stood, gobsmacked. "I-it's too big."

"I'll get you a smaller one," Willow sighed, taking off her itchy lanyard. By the time she'd put it on the table, Elliot had whipped the shirt over his head, and he was bare.

A pink blush settled on Willow's cheeks. She'd never seen a boy shirtless, only in movies, and definitely not this close up. And Elliot didn't look so bad. Not bad at all. And he looked so pretty, with his brown eyes and brown hair. His golden curls on his forehead, so soft she could practically feel them. And Willow realised that she'd stopped seeing Elliot stood there, but Peter instead.

"I-... sorry," Willow shook her head and almost snatched the shirt from his hands. "I, uh, I'll be back in a minute."

She rushed out the door, suppressing her thoughts and emotions, her grieving and guilt, into the pit of her stomach.

Liked by Willow

Liked by Willow.Marsden05, n3dinthechair, and 187 others
elliotjames_b    smash or pass

View all 12 comments

Daphne.gr1ce smash
      Reply Willow.Marsden05 what she said

— — —

"And that's a G chord," Elliot said, watching Willow strum a slightly out of tune pattern on his guitar. Scout sat on the floor, amusing herself with a range of presents she'd been spoilt with.

Elliot reached over and rearranged her fingers at the top of the guitar. "And that's a C." Scout let out a laugh as she looked up with wide eyes. "I take it she liked that chord."

"How do you stretch your fingers so far?" Willow struggled, her hand contorting and aching into an awkward position. Elliot laughed and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Try not to fit your whole arm around it, just your wrist," he said, moving closer behind Willow. Millions of thoughts ran through his mind as he adjusted her placement on the guitar. He could feel how warm he was, and how fast his heart beat.

He looked at Willow, at how focused she was. And realised that she wasn't looking at him, like the way he looked at her.

The front door to Willow's apartment opened, and Eugene walked in, bags of shopping on his hands.

"Oh hey Elliot. I didn't know you were coming round," he said, placing down the bag and walking over to the living room.

"Good evening sir," Elliot said, shaking Mr Marsden's hand firmly. He'd never say it out loud, but Eugene heavily preferred Elliot to Peter. And not just because he'd known him since he was young, or that he worked with Elliot's mum. Well, yes, probably for those reasons.

"Hello little Scout," Eugene cooed, moving over and picking the smiling baby up from the floor. She hummed a happy noise as she sat on his hip. "How's the musical coming along?"

"Good, really good. Show's in two weeks," Elliot answered.

"Willow's been working her butt off, researching all these different things. Like, left is right, and upstage downstage. Never knew she had the musical gene," Marsden said.

Just then, Willow played an out of tune note. She looked up with a smile. "Was that good?"

"Yeah!" Elliot lied. "Thank you for having me Sir, but I should go."

"Let me walk you out," Willow said, pulling the guitar strap from her neck and getting up. They walked to the door, a phrase and Elliot's mind the whole way. Well, a few steps.

He stopped near the door and turned around abruptly. "Actually, can I ask you something?"

"Sure," Willow smiled. That smile, that melted tar.

"Do you have a date to the Winter Prom?" He asked. Sweet tickled his brow, like a sensitive bomb about to blow. Willow got nervous.

"No, why?" She asked, already knowing he answer.

"Will you go to Prom with me?"

Willow stood, very still. Dilemma pricked her face like needles.

A dilemma indeed.

{𝘗𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘣𝘦 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘦𝘹𝘵 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘐 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘦.}

{𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦 𝘷𝘰𝘵𝘦.}

- ꪀ. ᥊᥊